girl lounging relax 3
girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Culture > News

Make the Most Out of Your Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the world pauses for a few weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can easily feel restless and long for life to go back to normal again. A lot of us might even be stressed or worried as the virus continues to spread and the future remains unknown. Even though we’re in this unfortunate situation, until who knows when, your time in quarantine could actually be meaningful and fun with the right activities. Here’s a few ways to make the most out of your quarantine: 

Read that stack of books!

Everyone has those books we always say we’re going to read, but never actually get to finish because life gets way too busy to sit down and read something other than a textbook. Well thanks to the quarantine, we now have the time and brain space (at least during Spring Break) to take in all the books that have been previously collecting dust on our shelves. As a personal goal to finish all the books I’ve put off, I’ve committed to reading at least 30 minutes a day for the next few weeks. I’m excited to see how many I can finish!

Tim Wildsmith

Pick up a new hobby … or re-visit an old one

This is what I get the most excited for (because there’s not that many reasons lately) since there’s always so many things I wish I knew how to do. I’m a creative at heart, so my plans for this Spring Break definitely consist of actually doing the things I’ve always wanted to learn, like memorizing chords to play guitar or painting with acrylic. Now that we have a little extra time, you can also take a class online through platforms like Skillshare or learn your desired hobby for free through YouTube. 

Cook a nice meal

While this may pose some obstacles, such as shortages at the grocery store, you can still try to make at least one dinner for your family who now has to put up with you for at least a couple more weeks. The best way to show gratitude is through a small labor of love to make a (hopefully) delicious meal! If you’re not much of a chef like me, you can always try your hand at baking a yummy dessert for your family to enjoy … I’m thinking lemon poppy seed cupcakes for my next recipe!

Breakfast food
Unsplash

Do at-home exercises

I know, I know. Being at home makes you feel way too lazy to work out, but since gyms are closed for the now, and you don’t want to risk it at the park, at-home exercises are your best friend. I highly recommend doing workouts by Cassey aka Blogilates on YouTube. If you live in an apartment and worried about neighbors below, she has some awesome “silent” workouts with no jumping. No excuses today!

Call a friend (or two)

This is probably the most important thing to do during this time of social distancing! Make sure that you’re continuously keeping contact with those you love, especially if you live alone. Self-isolation could be detrimental to a lot of peoples’ mental health. This could easily be avoided especially with all the technology we have today, with texting and FaceTime. Don’t be afraid to make the first move … they probably want to talk to you too!

As you do all of these things to make your time in quarantine a little more interesting, I hope you stay safe and healthy, and most importantly … wash your hands!

Hayley is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis, majoring in Human Development with a minor in Communication. You can often find her listening to True Crime podcasts, watching classic movies (yet, her true favorite is 'Ratatouille'), and obsessing over cats.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!