jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Love, Respect, CARE: Cultivating Healthy Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

February is a popular time to think about love. It’s the month of Valentine’s Day, which celebrates your classic romantic love. It’s also the month of Galentine’s Day, which celebrates love between female friends. Perhaps most importantly, February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. 

Between all the heart-shaped candy boxes and romantic comedies, it’s also worth thinking about what makes a truly healthy relationship. 

For UCD’s Center of Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), February is a busy month, as CARE provides confidential resources and awareness programs to combat the epidemics of campus sexual assault, intimate-partner violence, and stalking. Last week on February 4th, the organization’s volunteers participated in the Sexcess Photo Campaign. They partnered with UCD’s Love Lab Project to promote communication about sexual boundaries and affirmative consent. Less than a week later, on February 9th, CARE also gave out orange ribbons in honor of Wear Orange Day to spread awareness of teen dating abuse. 

All throughout this month, CARE will be providing educational workshops for the residence halls, such as “How to Be a Superhero” (which discusses bystander intervention) and “Healthy Relationships Bingo” for Gen Sex Week. They will also be partnering with the LGBTQIA Center to host a Healthy Relationships Crafternoon on February 19th. Participants will make red ‘flags’ and discuss warning signs in relationships. The event will take place from 12:30pm to 2:30pm in the LGBTQIA Center.

CARE offers flyers which cite elements of a healthy and happy relationship. These features include trust, communication, respect, willingness to compromise, life balance, mutual support in decision-making, and of course, consent. For more information on healthy relationships, follow CARE’s activities on Facebook and Instagram. You can also visit Love is Respect for additional resources. 

If you think you or anyone else is in an unhealthy or abusive relationship, don’t hesitate to visit the CARE office for 24/7 confidential resources (located next to TAPS). 

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!