This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Wonder Woman’s raw empathy for people, her ability to maintain a positive attitude even though the world seems to be falling apart, and, let’s be real, her bad*ss-ness are just some of the qualities that have made people fall in love with her. I’m not just talking about the reincarnation of Wonder Woman we all saw in Patty Jenkins’ film either; I’m talking about the entirety of Wonder Woman’s character, from her first appearance in the 1940s to the Wonder Woman we know today. Throughout her adventures both on and off screen, Wonder Woman has taught us, and her fellow sisters of her homeland Themyscira, some valuable life lessons that we can all incorporate into our everyday lives. 

1. Who cares what others think about you? 

When Wonder Woman is out saving the world, does she really have the time to worry about others’ opinions on her? The answer to that is NO. We should all share her mentality and not bother to care about what others think of our decisions (or what we decide to wear, for that matter). 

2. Don’t just stand there and watch, make it happen — even if it means getting your hands a bit dirty!

Remember the “No Man’s Land” scene in Wonder Woman? This demonstrated how Wonder Woman is not going to patiently sit around as trouble stands in front of her. As for us, we shouldn’t either. Want to start learning how to dance better? Sign up for dance lessons. Want to start getting more physical activity? Get up from your seat and start now. Don’t put off what you can do now!

3. Enjoy life’s little moments 

Being caught up in the hustle of work, fighting crime, and saving humanity from falling into the wrong hands can make it difficult for Wonder Woman to take a step back and enjoy the simple things in life. It’s no different for us — as young college students, we deal with class, work, internships, tests, friendships/relationships, and so on. This is why it is important that when we do get a chance to relax, we need to really enjoy it and let go of stress, even if it’s just for a moment. 

4. Even when you’re at rock bottom, pick yourself up again and try harder

Wonder Woman did not become Wonder Woman overnight — it cost years of training, ties with her homeland, and almost her entire life just to earn her the name Wonder Woman. Some of us will come across similar paths, where we will constantly have to fall down first in order to achieve our goals. But don’t ever feel discouraged, you can succeed in whatever you put your mind to!

5. Approach all situations like you’re the expert 

Just because Wonder Woman comes across as someone who knows what she is doing all the time, does it mean she really does? She also has her shortcomings, as we all do. We should not let that keep us from stepping outside of our comfort zones. As they say, “Fake it ‘til you make it.”

6. Be you and only you 

‘Nuff said.

Cover image source: Warner Bros

Dianna is a fourth year English Major and is minoring in Education at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys going out for runs and being outdoors when the weather permits. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!