photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Life Lessons Learned from Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Inspired by writer Joyce Zamorano’s article on the life lessons she’s gotten from Star Wars — as well as my own article about the valuable knowledge I’ve gained from Bridget Jones — I thought I’d reflect a little on what I have learned from the media I’m currently consuming.

After years of my family and friends insisting that I watch the cop comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I finally got around to it, and absolutely fell in love. It’s wonderfully hilarious, brilliantly inventive, satisfyingly well-rounded and so committed to social justice causes that I can’t help but adore it. In their own way, all of the main characters in the show have left me with little lessons that I keep close to my heart.

Detective Jake Peralta: Support and believe your loved ones.

Although Jake often likes to do things his own way, he supports his friends when they need him most, believes their hunches about a case when nobody else does, and willingly demonstrates a curiosity and enthusiasm for his girlfriend’s interest in Harry Potter (good for him, I say!).

Gina Linetti: It’s okay to be confident.

Gina Linetti, the self-proclaimed human version of the 100 emoji, has unparalleled self-esteem. Gina knows that she’s amazing at everything — especially dancing — and will happily tell others so. But if you ask her nicely, she’ll also help you develop more confidence and pizzazz yourself, as she did for friends like Amy, Terry, Charles and even Captain Holt.

Detective Charles Boyle: Own your passions.

Charles is the creator of a successful blog about New York pizzerias and a seeker of quality food. His zealousness and his penchant for novel foods that others find weird or unpalatable means that others often find him a little odd, but Charles stays true to himself.

Captain Holt: Persevere in the face of injustice.

As a black and openly gay man, Holt was unfortunately familiar with racism and discrimination from his peers and is vocal about how difficult it was to deal with such discrimination when he first became a police officer. To ensure that people with similar experiences could have a safe space, he founded the African-American Gay and Lesbian New York City Policeman’s Association. It’s got a long acronym, but it’s one of Holt’s greatest and most important achievements.

Detective Amy Santiago: Do not be afraid of hard work.

Amy is deeply committed to learning and to bettering both herself and the community. As a result, she’s not afraid to put in the work needed to enact change. Whenever Amy is given a task, you can trust that she’ll carry out to completion, and flawlessly at that.

Detective Rosa Diaz: Seek meaningful relationships.

While Rosa is often averse to extreme displays of emotion and considers herself a rookie at relationships, she doesn’t let that stop her from creating deeply meaningful friendships with others. She thoroughly enjoys being a mentor to youth in her community, will always give Jake the advice he needs to hear and finds her friendship with Amy to be a form of solidarity in a male-dominated office and profession.

Detectives Hitchcock & Scully: Stick together.

As much as they frustrate everyone else in the precinct, these guys always have each other’s backs. They’re soulmates and, presumably, are never without each other. If they’ve taught me anything, it’s that everything’s always funnier when your best friend is by your side.

Sergeant Terry Jeffords: Never ever be ashamed of your love for farmers markets and sustainable agricultural practices.

Okay, so I’m joking and being serious with this one. I love the Davis Farmers Market, and I’m not going to hide it – thank God Terry doesn’t either!

Cover image source: FOX Entertainment

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!