This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the end of my senior year coming to a close, I am more than grateful to my parents, family, and friends that have been supportive along the way. I was the first in my whole family to attend a four-year university, and it could not have been possible without the endless support from my loved ones. As a first-generation student, higher education has been a bit of a struggle and a challenge, but I was able to overcome many obstacles. As a transfer student UC Davis was intimidating, and I could not have done it without a great support system back home and on campus. I cannot express my full gratitude in a simple “thank you” to my parents. Words cannot describe how thankful I am for their endless love, so I wanted to write a letter dedicated to my apa and ama (father and mother).

watercolor heart
stux via Pixabay
Even if I were to thank you over and over again for being beside me along the way, the depth of my love and appreciation would never be expressed. I thank you with my whole heart and being. I am so blessed to have you, call you my parents and to grow in your presence. Because of you I was able to get as far as I have, experience new things, and grow as a person. Thank you for stressing the importance of education. Thank you for supporting me in my academic career, always being there for me when it came to my education. Thank you for the sacrifices you have made, I want to let you know that they weren’t in vain. Because of you and your sacrifices my siblings were able to live a better life. Thank you so much. 

American flag
Thomas Kelley/Unsplash
I am beyond grateful, and I know I sound like a broken record, but I truly cannot express how important you both are to me. I love you very much, and I hope to make you proud. Without you it would have been impossible, you are just as a part of my academic career as I was. You were there every step of the way offering your advice and supporting me in my endeavors. Para ustedes ama y apa (for you mother and father). 

Diana is a recent UC Davis alumni that majored in Communication. If she isn't daydreaming, she is probably shooting on her camera, watching movies, writing, or dancing. She loves listening to music, all things vintage, fashion, and FOOD!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!