Let’s Stop the Competition Between Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I am a firm believer that every person is born with unique talents and strengths. As we go through life, every person becomes more aware of their gifts and begins to feel drawn to a specific path, which dictates what they study and which career they ultimately pursue.

Some people are protégées with their hands, and can make breathtaking paintings and sculptures, which we use to adorn our homes. Some people are fantastic athletes, and participate in games that many watch in order to relieve stress and bond with others. Some people are drawn to helping others, and use their brilliant minds to carefully perform life-saving surgeries on us. Yet, a completely different set of people are passionate writers, and bring us the books we devour up in order to visit a far-away land or teach our children how to express themselves. All of these people, and more, are so integral to our society.

I am tired of constantly hearing negative discourse between those who study the humanities/ social sciences and those who are immersed in the STEM fields.  Why is it important to debate who has harder classes? Or who will have a bigger paycheck? Or even who contributes more to society?

Placing higher value on one major over another, and ultimately one job over another, is an extremely ignorant mindset to adopt. If every person only studied things in the STEM fields, then our world would just be full of doctors, scientists, and engineers. On the opposite end, if everyone just studied the arts, we would only have psychologists, authors, teachers, and political scientists. Our world would be unbalanced.

We are all part of the same student body, and each person is pursuing their passion in order to hopefully make a difference in their future career. We need to start building each other up and encouraging each other to continue working hard in what we are good at, not what people think we should be doing. 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!