This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Before college, it never occurred to me how important it is to surround yourself with people who are passionate. Growing up, I think I was lucky enough to be around people with strong passions, most often in the arts, that I assumed everyone had something they were passionate about. 

However, this isn’t always the case. Coming to college, I learned there are some people who don’t have as strong of passions as other people ─ which is completely acceptable. After all, it is your own life to live.

Passions are one of the things that keep us going in the reality of human life. They push us forward on our journeys and through the ups and downs we encounter as we grow each day.

Without them, where would we be?

Reflecting on my own life, I realize that I have many passions. Some of the things I am passionate about are the arts, writing, my sorority, family, food, and friends. I could go on, but I’ll spare you. 

Some of my passions are constant and have been with me for as long as I can remember, and some are more new to me. They come and go as I change as an individual over time, and I love that. I think it is amazing that as I grow and learn more about myself, the people around me also get to learn my new passions. And, in return, I get to learn about my friends’ differing passions, the special things that they all live for. 

One of my friends, who has recently graduated from college and has been very influential in my college career so far, reminded me this past weekend how important it is to surround yourself with passionate people. 

I feel blessed because when I think about the people in my life; they are all passionate people, yet they all are passionate about very different things. This creates an interesting dynamic in how they affect me and I love how they all have the drive to seize life and embrace every opportunity given. I admire the people closest to me because of this. 

When you surround yourself with other passionate people, you can benefit in many ways. You will learn about their passions, and maybe find something interesting enough to make it one of yours. They can also connect you with other people who share your interests. Overall, you will most likely be happier in the relationships you are creating because these people share the same drive for life you have.

I encourage you to reflect on your own passions now and the people you surround yourself with on a daily basis. What are your passions? How have your passions in life changed since becoming a college student? What are your friends passionate about? Do the people who surround you push you toward your passions, or take away from them?

If you don’t find yourself having many passions right now, that is okay. As I said before, passions come and go, but it is important to be aware of what you are lacking in your life. And if the people surrounding you right now are not pushing you in a positive direction because they are not passionate themselves, then perhaps you need to look beyond your inner circle to find people who will.

You are the only person who can control your life. You might as well lead a passion-filled one. And I hope the people you consider close to you are passionate and have good hearts that will help you become the best version of yourself.

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!