La La Land Review: Here’s to the Fools that Dream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In case you haven’t heard…everyone is going gaga over La La Land, and for good reason. After being released on December 9, 2016, the original musical was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards, and made history by winning all seven of them at the awards ceremony this past Sunday. The previous record for most Golden Globes won by a single film was five.

List of Golden Globe Awards for La La Land:

1. Best Director – Motion Picture

2. Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

3. Best Original Score – Motion Picture

4. Best Original Song – Motion Picture

5. Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

6. Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

7. Best Screenplay – Motion Picture

The original musical about a young couple trying to make their way through the entertainment industry in the “City of Stars” (aka Los Angeles) caught the hearts of millions of moviegoers over the holiday season. Although it would be hard for a movie with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to be anything short of extraordinary, La La Land goes above and beyond.

With an emphasis on classic jazz and a Broadway-esque charm, the musical has a classic and modern feel that will make it a hit for generations to come. Mia (Emma Stone), an aspiring actress that works at a coffee shop on a studio lot in LA, and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) a young jazz pianist with dreams of owning his own jazz club, repeatedly run into each other and form a brewing romance.

With catchy and upbeat dance numbers and songs, La La Land takes you through the ups, the downs, the good, and the bad of young love and chasing your dreams. The characters experience love, loss, success, and disappointment. The light-heartedness of the film captures the essence of being a young adult just trying to find your place in the world: inspired by the possibilities the world holds, and getting knocked down by its trials and tribulations as well.

Gosling’s character Sebastian sums up the sentiment of most young people these days: “I’m letting life hit me until it gets tired. Then I’ll hit back. It’s a classic rope-a-dope.”

The film reminds us that although we will undoubtedly face rejection and failure in our life you have to get back up when you are knocked down, and to never give up on your dreams.

So if you’ve ever had a dream, love musicals, or simply want to see Ryan Gosling in a suit tap dancing alongside Emma Stone, then La La Land is the film for you!

“Here’s to the fools that dream.”

*Images used do not belong to Her Campus or the author

Nikki is a senior at UC Davis, majoring in Community and Regional Development with a minor in Professional Writing. Apart from her classes, she spends her time walking backwards as a campus tour guide, advising future travelers at the UC Davis Study Abroad office, and fighting against domestic violence as an active member of Alpha Chi Omega. You can catch her sipping iced coffee at the CoHo, spending time with friends in the quad, or exploring the endless restaurants in downtown Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!