This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

South Korea is highly associated with K-pop. It’s no secret that with the success of the group BTS, K-pop exploded in popularity here in the US. While this is amazing for South Korea, I believe that there is so much more to Korean music than just K-pop. Here I have compiled a very small list that scratches only the surface of other genres of Korean music. If you enjoy listening to K-pop, or just looking for some new artists to get behind, here are some of my personal favorites to check out:

1. Jannabi: If you’re into folk and indie music, this artist is for you. If I could describe Jannabi’s sound, it would be throwback retro soft pop. His voice is soothing and all his songs are easy to listen to. His music is classically instrumental, often with a guitar melody. His most popular song is “for lovers who hesitate”. Other honorable song mentions are “summer” and “A thought on an autumn night”.
  2. Penomeco: One of my absolute favorites; all of Penomeco’s songs are a hit. If you are familiar with Korean R&B artists like Crush and Dean, you should definitely check Penomeco out. His music is a mix of dance/electronic and hip hop/R&B. His voice has a unique sound, and it’s hard not to bop your head when listening to his upbeat tracks. His recent song “BOLO” draws inspiration from the afrobeats genre, with a chorus that will be stuck in your head for days. Other songs to check out include “COCO BOTTLE” and “No. 5 ft. Crush”.
  3. Bibi: Another Hip Hop/R&B artist, and recently collaborated with 88rising, Bibi has a similar sound to American artists SZA and Doja Cat. Her sound is alluring and the perfect addition to your bedroom playlist. My favorite song from her is “KAZINO”. Other honorable mentions include “BAS SAD AND MAD”. 
  4. Epik High: One of my top artists according to Spotify, Epik High is a foundational Rap/Hip Hop group that has been in the music industry since the beginning. The trio consisting of rappers Tablo, Mithra Jin, and DJ Tukutz has been delivering raw and meaningful lyrics since 2003. What I love about Epik High is their dedication to producing top quality music. One album I highly recommend listening to from start to finish is Sleepless in ______. Their slower songs are melancholic with relatable lyrics, and their faster songs make you feel like you’re the main character. Perhaps one of their most popular songs is “Born Hater”, which features many other rappers in the K-rap scene. 

Like I said, this is only a slice of talent that I mentioned. Korean hip hop and rap have steadily become more popular with the rise in rap competition shows like Show Me The Money and High School Rapper. If you liked these recommendations, check out these shows! They provide insight to up-and-coming rappers in the K-rap industry.

Emily is a recent graduate from UC Davis, with a bachelor's degree in Communications and Cinema & Digital Media. She is currently Design Director for VITA at UC Davis and Digital Media Director for Her Campus UCD. She enjoys thrifting and getting coffee with friends.