This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether you’re a senior who’s coming close to graduation, a junior frantically applying to summer internships, or a sophomore trying to join club executive boards and get on-campus jobs, the transition from winter to spring quarter always seems especially stressful. Here are some ways that you can keep calm and carry on.

1. Plan it.

When you have everything written out with all of the deadlines in front of you, it seems much easier to keep track of your applications. My biggest worry is always that I’m forgetting something, so having all my deadlines on a list somewhere helps me to feel more in control of my plans. Once you’ve got your list, you can work on the items according to priority and difficulty.

Source: Tenor

2. Talk it out.

Sometimes it helps to just unload all of your worries onto someone else. Find a family member, friend, or counselor who is willing to just let you talk until you can’t think of anything else to worry about. Let them know beforehand that you don’t want advice, you just want someone to listen.

Source: ReactionGIF

3. Have a little dance party.

I know that I tend to go down a crazy spiral of stressed-out thoughts, so getting some physical energy out can be key to calming down my mind. I usually put in my headphones, blast a good dance song (middle school throwbacks work super well, just FYI!), and dance for a solid three minutes. The music keeps my brain from thinking about anything other than the song and the tiny bit of exercise both clears my head and helps alleviate any physical symptoms I may have been experiencing earlier. Dance like no one’s watching!

Source: Giphy

4. Take a 25-minute break. 

It’s the perfect amount of time to get yourself a snack, drink a glass of water, and watch a random episode of your favorite sitcom. My go-to show is Friends, because every episode has at least one moment that makes me laugh out loud. The break is just enough time for your brain to relax a bit but not so long that you will get stressed about wasting any time.

Source: Giphy

5. Remind yourself that it’s going to be okay. 

You might listen to your favorite uplifting song on repeat (mine is “Keep Your Head Up” by Ben Howard), listen to a meditative podcast, or seek comfort from friends and family. Take the time to completely and thoroughly convince yourself that no matter what ends up happening, you’re going to be okay. You’ll make it work. 

Source: Giphy

Treat yourself well and finish whatever you need to do. Keep calm and carry on, collegiettes!

Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!