This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The world is hurting. Never in my life can I recall a time in which there has been so much “going wrong.” From political divide, racial injustice, a global pandemic, and to every other unimaginable thing that 2020 has brought with it. In times like this, it is hard to focus on what is good or how things can be changed. I have spent so much time trying to process the events of this year so far and the only thing that keeps coming to mind in terms of what I could do about it is the act of showing love. Yep, it really is that simple, it all comes down to love

Photo by DESIGNECOLOGIST from Unsplash
It is sad to think that so many people in this world would rather tear each other down than build each other up. Showing love is one of the simplest ways we can try to make this world we live in a better place for everyone. Sure, we can all have different opinions about various ideals and or policies but that does not mean we need to disrespect each other. Differences of opinion can and should be discussed, and doing so helps us to understand more about the world and where people may be coming from. 

One thing that I have been trying to do in recent months is to show love to people and help them realize the value they bring into the world, no matter what they look like or where they come from. We are all human and are deserving of respect, justice, and a sense of peace and belonging. There is no reason why anyone should receive anything less. You do not have to go around hugging random people to show them love but there is an endless number of acts you can perform, words you can say, and voices you can listen to that can make someone feel loved and maybe even understood during this crazy time we are living in. They may not show it, but I think it is fair to say that there is not one single person in this world who is not affected by everything going on right now.

woman lying in white bed
Photo by Yuris Alhumaydy from Unsplash
One way that I like to show love to others, is by simply reaching out to them and checking in on them. Just get a little conversation going, let them know that you are there for them and are thinking of them. Sometimes it is the littlest thing that means the most. Personally, hearing from someone random during the course of my day can make me feel appreciated and cared for. 

Original Illustration Created in Canva for Her Campus Media
So, in this crazy time, I challenge all who are reading this to find a way to spread or show love to the people around them. Try to think of one little thing that you could do each day to make someone feel loved. Really, I happen to think that is all we need. 

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!