Impressions of UC Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Like most UC Davis students, the moment I received my acceptance letter was a proud and exciting one. I waited a seemingly endless summer to start my university career, eager to begin a new chapter in my life and my independence. My first impressions of the campus and the town only reaffirmed my decision to pursue my education at UC Davis.

Bike Culture

Biking is a huge part of Davis culture. I remember the first time I saw someone go through a bike circle without using handlebars, and I was in awe of them. So much of a student’s time in Davis is spent either riding a bike, fixing a bike, rummaging in backpacks for lost bike lights and keys, or finding bike parking outside of Wellman Hall at midday. Your bike becomes as precious to you as a car might. When someone’s bike breaks, there is a period of mourning that follows (I can confirm this, as my bike broke during my first quarter). You can bike almost anywhere and you will learn to love biking when attending UC Davis.

The Davis Farmer’s Market and Downtown restaurants

The Farmer’s Market may be one of the happiest places on the planet. It’s always full of people and amazing produce. I would take advantage of every sample available—they are all phenomenal. The apple juice is a particular favorite that is highly recommended by many students and locals, including myself. The stuff is liquid gold and is perfect during the warmer months of spring quarter. There are also a huge variety of restaurants on almost every street of Downtown Davis. Exploring different places to eat is a favorite activity of many and a great way to meet new people.

On Campus Events

The UC Davis campus serves as a hosts to multiple events every day. There are smaller events specific to particular clubs and majors, and there are the larger events such as: athletic events, Picnic Day and the Whole Earth Festival that are favorites of the entire student body. The Mondavi Center is a prime venue for performances of music, dance, or speakers. Whatever your interests, there is something for everyone.

The Atmosphere

Admittedly, I was nervous to experience the shock of the quarter system upon arriving. Davis is home to such a friendly group of students and faculty that are all willing to help you. Though UC Davis has an impressive academic reputation, everyone I have encountered has been encouraging to one another in their educational path. There is a sense of community in almost everything.

I do not regret choosing UC Davis. This place is special, and I love it here.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!