The Importance of Having a Galentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Valentine’s Day is upon us, and for some that means roses, dinner, movies, and other cute date ideas. For others, it means awkwardly third wheeling, fifth wheeling, seventh wheeling, or possibly rolling solo when you have a friend in a relationship.

I love Valentine’s Day because it’s a time where people dedicate a day to show affection for those who they hold dear to them. However, usually that translates into a significant other. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with that, but when plans with your girls get pushed aside, it’s important to recognize that you should hold your friendships with the same value you hold your relationships.

Your girls are there for you through good times and bad. They were there before the person you’re seeing and they’ll be there after. Too many times, people take this for granted and will only hang out with their friends when their significant other is busy or out of town—and then later cancel plans when their bae becomes available.

Of course people like to spend time with the person they’re seeing. If they didn’t, then what’s the point of investing time into a relationship? But it’s also important to realize the power of female friendship. With a strong, supportive circle of friends, women tend to stress less. Women have a tendency to be more willing to express their feelings, which is a key concept. For this reason, it’s less likely to see depression in women with a strong group of friends because they feel more comfortable confiding with them and talking about whatever may be bothering them.

With good friends, you also see boosted self-esteem and confidence. There is the shine theory, which pretty much says that by being around strong, amazing women will in fact cause you to become a strong, amazing woman as well. You are what you attract, and by having a circle of friends that love to see you succeed, you will also reflect that and want to see others succeed.

Date nights are nice, but think back to when the last time you spent with your friends was—and I mean spent time with your friends, not sitting with them while texting your significant other or telling stories about him/her—but actually catching up with what is happening in your friends’ lives and enjoying the time you have with them. Immerse yourself in your friendships. That strong bond will carry you over great distances.

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!