This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Women’s History Month is coming up in March, and we are celebrating countless women who have made an impact in the lives of others and who have been courageous enough to stand up for what they believe in. I wanted to write about someone that I recently found out about in the last couple of years, and who people have never heard of at all. She is someone who was way ahead of her time, someone who was held back due to the complexion of her skin and had her talent overlooked by many; yet she persisted, and she gave it her all. 

Surya Bonaly was a French figure skater who performed the famous backflip during the Olympics. This was a big deal at the time, because not only was the flip illegal in the ice skating world, it had also only been performed by two people in history. These two people were white males, and they had landed on both feet. Bonaly, on the other hand, was a minority, and she had perfected the flip to land not on both feet but one skate.

Street Dancing In The Park B&W 3
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Surya was a fierce and powerful ice skater; she could get the crowd energized and shine brightly on the ice. She had perfected the iconic backflip and learned to land on one skate. The backflip had been banned from ice skating since the 1970s, and Bonaly used it as a symbolic defiance to racism. Time after time, Bonaly had been marked down simply because of her appearance. Bonaly was different from the slim and petite ice skaters of the time. She was athletic, fit, and strong. Her ice skating style was not graceful but upbeat and powerful. 

Bonaly was the ice queen, and she was finally able to show her talent without being marked down once she left amateur skating and went pro. She defied expectations throughout her career. As a woman of color, she faced obstacles which pushed her to go the extra mile, defy the odds, and show her talents. In her honor, the backflip move was named the Bonaly, as she was the only person who performed it and successfully landed on one skate. She became a global phenomenon after her performance at the Olympics. Although the judges were not content with her move, the audience was awestruck, and she gained many fans. 

locks on heart
Simon Matzinger
I am definitely a fan of such an amazing woman, talented ice skater, and trailblazer for other girls. Bonaly taught us to persevere and to see our worth when others do not. She is an icon that will continue to influence the skating world, and she will always be the ice queen that the world was not ready for.

Diana is a recent UC Davis alumni that majored in Communication. If she isn't daydreaming, she is probably shooting on her camera, watching movies, writing, or dancing. She loves listening to music, all things vintage, fashion, and FOOD!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!