This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

But so, what? Weddings are a whirlwind of emotions all packed into one day filled with food, family, blisters, and relationship status questions.

A few days ago, I had the pleasure of attending a family friend’s wedding, and I was very excited because although I was not a bridesmaid, I still had a big part in helping set up for the wedding. The morning of the wedding, I spent it running to the store to get last minute items, in addition to helping set up for the ceremony and venue.

Something I was not prepared for though, were questions in regards to my relationship status. Maybe it was the “love is in the air” vibes or the fact that many of our family friends had not seen me in months since I left for college, but many felt the need to ask if I had a special someone in my life.

The answer to that is in fact, “No.” To this answer, I often received a kind smile or a response such as, “Don’t worry, your time will come” or “Just keep looking darling.” Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the good wishes, but I also wish to take my time in life and wait for love to show up on its own.

I am not saying I will straight up say “no” to anyone who comes my way, but I am not exactly looking for love right now. Personally, I find it strange how society has gotten us to the mentality that by age nineteen, taking a plus one to a wedding or even dating is a norm, and that if you are not in the clique, people will feel sorry for you.

If you are currently in a relationship, I am so happy for you. Please be happy in your relationship or be happy for your daughter who is in one, but please do not feel bad for me, and in turn make me feel sad when you say things such as, “Honey, why don’t you go dance, you look so lonely and bored.”

Not. Cool.

As then my mind will fall into a black hole of “OMG WILL I BE SINGLE FOREVER AND NEVER FIND ‘THE ONE.’”

Therefore, if you ever find yourself at a wedding like me and it comes time to catch that bouquet, DO NOT freak out and have an existential crisis wondering if you ever will find “the one.” You have so much time to figure life out. So, stand off to the side during the bouquet toss and do what I did: Watch two sisters hilariously tackle one another for the bouquet and see the boyfriend of the catcher turn shades of pinks when he realizes his girlfriend has caught it.

Until the day comes, in which love will show up on your door, take time to do you and find your passions. You may not realize it, but you are in a relationship with yourself. With your goals, your body, your mental health, grades, career, and aspirations. All this will help you be prepared for when love decides to arrive, as you will already know who you are and what you are looking for.

And when that day comes, trust me, I will welcome love with open arms.

Joyce is a third year studying Communication at UC Davis and is from Tracy, CA. Joyce enjoys musical theatre, reading anything from classics and current bestsellers, eating pizza and cheesecake, all while waiting for the next and final episode of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.