Ocean from Elk Grove overlook in Humboldt County
Hadlie Ward

Humboldt County Should Be Your Next Travel Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

At roughly five hours north of San Francisco and two hours south of the Oregon border, Humboldt is part of the real NorCal. When I tell people I’m from Humboldt, the most common response is a sly reference to weed. Humboldt is part of “the Emerald Triangle,” which includes three northern California counties that produce more cannabis than anywhere else in the United States. When Netflix’s docuseries Murder Mountain was released in 2018, Humboldt got a widespread reputation for two things: murder and marijuana. However, as a person who grew up in Humboldt, I’m here to say that situations like those in Murder Mountain are extremely uncommon and occur in the areas of Humboldt that are in the middle of nowhere. Despite the scary framing in the media, Humboldt is an area full of natural wonders and quirky communities. I may be a bit biased, but I will say this: you should visit, and not just for the weed. I promise you won’t get murdered. 

Arguably the best part of Humboldt is the outdoor activities available. I spent my childhood hiking and camping in the redwoods, kayaking and crabbing in the bay, tide pooling at the beaches, and swimming in the rivers throughout the area. It is important to note that all of Humboldt County exists on native land. According to Two Feathers Native American Family Services, tribes that have stewarded this land include (but are not limited to) the Wiyot, Yurok, Hupa, Karuk, Tolowa, and Mattole peoples. The influence and advocacy of local tribes play a significant role in preserving the environment in the area.

One of the best hikes to do in Humboldt is Fern Canyon, in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, which was one of the locations where scenes from The Lost World: Jurassic Park were filmed. Scenes from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi were filmed in Redwood National Park as well. Personally, my favorite beach to visit is Luffenholtz Beach near Trinidad, which has lots of spots to tidepool when the tide is low, and sandy spots to sit that block the wind on colder days. Other popular places include the Arcata Community Forest, which is located just off the Humboldt State University campus and has a great disc golf course, and Agate Beach at Sue-meg State Park, which is popular for beach-combers looking for agates. 

If you visit Humboldt and want to know the best place to eat, look no further. Stars Hamburgers in Arcata has the best french fries and is rumored to be the place that inspired the Krusty Krab in Humboldt State alumnus Stephen Hillenburg’s SpongeBob SquarePants. Roy Lichtenstein prints on the walls and a diner-like bar give this spot a retro vibe. Just down the street, Redwood Yogurt has fro-yo with freshly made waffle cones for dessert too. Another great option for an unexpected meal are the mashed potato cones from the Lighthouse Grill in Trinidad. These savory waffle cones are filled with creamy mashed potatoes and have additional topping options such as gravy, cheese, and brisket. Still hungry? The Plaza in Arcata hosts a farmer’s market on Saturdays. Local restaurants, craftspeople, and farmers have booths with food, flowers, pottery, produce, and more!

Another activity to do is to visit the Redwood Skywalk at the Sequoia Park Zoo in Eureka. At 100 feet above the ground, this series of rope bridges creates a quarter-mile loop to walk from tree to tree. Or, if you are looking for some window-shopping, the Victorian-style buildings in Ferndale’s Main Street Historic District have picturesque architecture and fun little businesses to explore. The experience is even better knowing that cooking-legend Guy Fieri grew up in the small town, and even recently bought one of the buildings in the area. 

If you time your trip at the right time of year, you might catch some one-of-a-kind events. The Kinetic Sculpture Race occurs yearly in the spring, and applicants build elaborate sculptural vehicles to participate in a 3-day race through sand, streets, trails, and water in various classic Humboldt locations. Racers typically participate in a lively parade around the Arcata Plaza for spectators to admire the eccentric works of art before racing. Other popular events include the annual Humboldt Bay Oyster Festival in June, which includes many local vendors, music, art, and, of course, oysters galore, and the Eureka Street Art Festival in August, which unveils new murals, window paintings, and art in Eureka each year. 

Humboldt is not without its problems, but it truly does not deserve the negative reputation that is often perpetuated. If you are interested in visiting a place full of unreal outdoor activities and unique experiences, I highly recommend that you make Humboldt County your next travel destination.