This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Growing up in SoCal, I never had to worry about the change of seasons as much as people on the East Coast, for example. My definition of winter was the drop in temperature from the warm 80s to the jarringly low… 50s. However, after starting college in Davis, although there’s no snow, NorCal definitely experiences more rain and colder days. My skin is already on the sensitive side, but it has been freaking out more so over the past couple of weeks with redness and flaking. Here are some of my favorite products to use and some I haven’t tried yet but have heard great things about!

1. La Roche-Posay Toleraine Gentle Hydrating Cleanser

I’m sure you’re familiar with CeraVe and Cetaphil, but I felt like those products broke me out and made my skin feel super tight (which is not supposed to be a good thing since it means you over-stripped your face). This cleanser, however, always leaves my skin feeling moisturized and soft! It’s a great value for the price too. 

2. COSRX Snail Mucin Line 

I am currently using the Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence, and absolutely love it! I apply an ample amount after washing my face when it’s still damp, and it makes my face feel plump and hydrated. This essence has definitely helped my dry skin and is also great for calming irritation. 

3. Hado Labo Hyaluronic Solution 

All of TikTok has been raving about how glowy this essence makes your skin look, and it is on my list of products to try next. With five types of Hyaluronic acid, this solution keeps your skin hydrated for the entire day, which is especially great for the cold winter. This product should be applied before serums but after your watery toner. 

4. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Facial Barrier Mask

Although pricey, I think Dr. Jart’s products are worth the money. When I’m breaking out more than usual, my skin is flakey, and no amount of moisturizer seems to fix it, I like to use the Ceramidin mask. My face is a lot more nourished and stays soft without any moisturizer the next day. It’s super important to repair your skin barrier, and this product helps you do so with its 5 Cera Complex.  

5. Topicals Like Butter Mask 

This product is high on my list of things to try as well. Although it was Topical’s Faded serum that went viral for helping with hyperpigmentation, I heard this mask is great for sensitive and eczema-prone skin. With green tea extract and Centella Asiatica, two ingredients great for irritated skin, slathering this on for twenty minutes or even overnight gives you an instant boost of hydration for when your skin is just not feeling it. 

6. Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Most of the products I’ve mentioned thus far heavily emphasize hydration, but it is nice to incorporate exfoliation into your routine as well. Depending on your skin type, you can exfoliate several times a week, but personally, more than once leads to over-production of oils on my skin, which is the exact opposite of what we’re trying to accomplish. I recommend starting off with the travel size of this product to see if you like it. I apply a couple of drops on my t-zone after toner/essence. By incorporating salicylic acid, a type of BHA, this product is designed to minimize the appearance of pores without unnecessarily stripping your face.

Now, this doesn’t mean you should start incorporating a seven-step skincare routine as part of your nightly regimen. This can be counterproductive and instead overwhelm both you and your skin. I’ve had my fair share of trial and error on which products work for my face and which don’t, but these recommendations are a great place to start!

Chelina is a third-year Communication and Sociology major at UC Davis. She loves binge watching Parks and Rec and considers herself an ice cream fanatic. After graduating, she hopes to work in public relations, marketing, or consulting.