How Ten Seconds of Courage Can Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether it’s talking to the cute boy standing next to you at the bus stop or raising your hand in a lecture hall filled with two hundred other students, it’s easy to feel afraid. You don’t want to regret what did or didn’t happen, but taking a step out of your comfort zone can make a big difference when interacting with others. Having courage, even if it only lasts ten seconds, will help you meet new people, learn new things, and find opportunities to grow.

When to be Courageous

With 10 seconds, you can do great things. You can turn a ten second conversation about the difficulties of math into a study group session that could get you a higher grade. Maybe that will blossom into a new friendship as well.

You can join clubs even if you don’t know other members, and maybe this will lead you to become club president! Don’t let your dreams stay dreams!

How to be Courageous

Some people may not like trying new things or introducing themselves to new people. You can change this if you take a page from Nike and think: “Just do it.” This motto makes you feel like anything is possible. When you’re in a stressful situation, just keep telling yourself that it isn’t a big deal.

Meeting new people may be intimidating, but it’s actually really easy to do (especially in Davis!). So many people are friendly on our campus and are willing to make new friends. You just have to be that person who takes the first step. Once you do so, you’ll be more inclined to do the same thing in future situations.

My name is Rojan Zarei and I am a second year Managerial Economics major at UC Davis. I've found a passion in getting to know who I am, learning about life, and sharing that with others! What better way to do that than write about what I've learned so others can hopefully benefit from it as well!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!