This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As a senior in college, the post-grad job search definitely seemed intimidating. However, after doing the Washington, D.C. program last summer, I have picked up a few tips and tricks to make the process a little easier. After creating a resume and cover letter you are proud of, it’s easy to tweak the details to fit each job description. The key is organization!

1. Create a LinkedIn profile

Your LinkedIn can be your laundry list of experience, whereas your resume should be the most recent and relevant job experience you’ve had and be kept to one page long. Update this regularly, and connect with peers, employers, and friends (making connections is key)! Your profile picture should be a professional-style headshot or a composite picture- even a graduation picture can work if you’re in a pinch!

2. Create a spreadsheet

I know this sounds weird, but maintaining a centralized place with all your applications is beyond helpful. Keep an organized list of the position name, link, location, date due and submitted, and a link to the portal you used to submit it. 

3. Check out the Internship and Career Center

The ICC is fully staffed with amazing professionals who will read your resumes and cover letters and help you prep for interviews.

4. Set up your Handshake account!

Handshake is a job search platform that is partnered with UC Davis and offers job listings for both on-campus jobs and jobs around the country. You can easily search by major as well, which is a great feature. 

5. Don’t be afraid to use Google

If you know of an organization that you would love to work for, specifically Google the name and your ideal job listing or title. You’d be surprised by what they might have!

Josephine is a fourth year at the University of California Davis, where she is studying Sociology. In her free time, she enjoys picnics at the Davis Farmers Market and watching Friends. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and hopes to be actively involved in the political realm after graduating. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!