sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Rihanna’s going to help get you through school

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Rihanna’s music may get you through life, but her new scholarship program may get you through school.

According to USA Today, The Clara Lionel Foundation (CFL)—a nonprofit Rihanna founded in 2012 — has opened applications for a global scholarship program that aims to grant students awards ranging from $5,000 to $50,000. The money is awarded based on need and can be renewed for three extra years or until a bachelor’s degree is achieved (!!!).

To be eligible for this scholarship, one must be a student already admitted into a four-year university in the United States for the 2016-2017 year and be a citizen of the Barbados, Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, Guyana, Jamaica, or the United States.

Rihanna’s commitment to giving “runs even deeper as the [she] continues to leverage her worldwide fame and influence to address a diverse group of global issues,” says The CLF website. Applications for the scholarship close on June 10th and finalists will be assessed by a committee “based on academic performance, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience and a personal essay.”

The Clara Lionel Foundation’s goal is “to improve the quality of life for communities globally in the areas of health, education, arts, and culture,” and I think it’s safe to say that CLF is accomplishing all that and more. You can apply for the scholarship here. Winners will be announced this August.

Once again, Rihanna leaves us in admiration of her—not because of her musical feats, but because of her wholehearted commitment to helping those in need. For more information on the Clara Lionel Foundation, click here.

Ariel Robbins is a third-year Technocultural Studies major with a minor in Professional Writing at UC Davis. Her dreams consist of attending graduate school for screenwriting or visual journalism, and one day taking a picture with Steve Buscemi. If you see her, you can almost always assume she is wearing Marc New York Performance leggings from Costco and aggressively craving Limeade from Trader Joes. Contact her at ajrobbins@ucdavis.edu
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!