Career

How Picking a Film School Changed my Life

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve always loved movies and television shows with all my heart. Going to the movie theater with friends to go see the newest movie is just pure joy. I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the film industry. 

In October 2023, I got a phone call from Vancouver Canada telling me that I was accepted into the film production program at Vancouver Film School. I was over the moon and I couldn’t believe it. I had worked on several projects the year prior to applying and worked so hard to get my resume in the best possible shape. It’s so crazy how one phone call can change your life. 

organization apps?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Around the same time when I got the phone call of acceptance, I was approaching the final steps of applying for Dodge College at Chapman University. The MFA in Film & Television Producing program has around a 20% acceptance rate, so I was quite intimidated. I still wanted to apply to prove to myself that I could do it. A few months later, I got an email that said I had made it to the second round. This involved me being interviewed by professors who had worked in the film industry for decades. I was very scared, but I knew that going through with this interview was the best option for me. The interview couldn’t have gone better. I was able to learn about the program and jobs within the film industry.  

On March 15th 2024, I got an email from Chapman saying that they had released decisions. I looked at my phone and thought to myself: This is going to either be an email that changes my life, or it’s not. I logged into my account, and my letter of acceptance was staring at me. It was a dream come true.  

Now, I had to make a decision for myself. It was either Vancouver Film School or Dodge College at Chapman University. This was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make in my entire life. I had to hop on a plane to leave the country in order to tour the school in Canada, then immediately come back to California and drive down to Orange County to tour the school there. 

I came to a final decision in early April and I chose Dodge College at Chapman. I really fell in love with the school and the program that I applied to because I knew I was going to walk out with a big resume and a helpful degree. It wasn’t easy to come to the final decision, but I knew my life was going to change for the better. This was a great learning experience, and I’m very fortunate that I was even in this position. Anybody who works in the creative arts industry knows that you truly have to put yourself and your work out there, and then hope that you get lucky.  

To those who are scared of life post undergrad, I want you to know that I understand and that many people are in the same boat as you. Don’t be afraid to take that next step, because you never know where it can lead you.

Amanda is a fourth year Cinema & Digital Media major with a minor in Communications. She enjoys writing, watching movies & TV shows, and spending time with her friends. She hopes to pursue a career in the film industry after UC Davis.