How My Life Isn’t Like a Bollywood Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I grew up watching countless movies from the Hindi film industry, more commonly referred to as “Bollywood,” a combination of Hollywood and Bombay (now Mumbai). For the most part, I love every minute of them. I do, however, enjoy comparing the unrealistic aspects of Bollywood movies I used to think were possible to my actual life. There are several ways my life did not turn out to be like the Bollywood film I dreamt of it being.

Flash Mobs

Bollywood films always feature several incredibly coordinated flash mobs, where everyone knows the moves and lyrics, as though it’s a normal part of everyday life. Growing up, I thought flash mobs were easy to plan and execute, but I was sadly mistaken. Unfortunately, not every important moment in my life has included synchronized singing and dancing. I have only been part of one flash mob in my life, and it was incredibly hard to coordinate. It was so difficult, in fact, that it honestly ended up being a miserable disaster.

(Source)

Expectations About Love

My visit to the village of Chandni Chowk in India did not find a Sharukh Khan-like person falling in love with me like Kajol experienced in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. I’ve been in college for several months now, but I do not exchange constant banter with a best friend I will inevitably fall in love with like in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. I’ve always found the idea of falling in love with someone to be frightening, so maybe it’s for the best that I haven’t experienced love at first sight.

(Source)

Hair Goals

When I attempt to flip my hair, it always ends up all over my face, or I end up whacking whoever is nearest to me with it. The rain just leaves it frizzy, and I can’t seem to style my hair in any way. Meanwhile, every Bollywood actor and actress always has perfect hair, whether it’s windy, raining, or humid, no matter what style it’s in.

(Source)

Wardrobes

Actresses switch outfits in between songs so quickly, it’s a kind of magic of its own. Not only do they look flawless, but they match seamlessly with their background dancers. It takes me at least ten minutes of glaring at my closet to choose an outfit before I inevitably give up and throw on pants and a t-shirt. And as for matching clothes with other people? My best friend and I can barely coordinate days to both wear dresses, let alone dresses that complement each other.

(Source)

I absolutely love Bollywood movies. No matter how much I wish my life were more like a Bollywood film, at least I get to watch those ideals play out on the big screen.

(Source)

Cover image source

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!