diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Make the Most out of Winter Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Let’s face it – winter quarter is no one’s favorite. The weather can be a pain to deal with when you’re trying to get to class, it gets annoying to be shut inside in the cold for weeks on end, and the weather can have serious negative effects on your overall mood and mental health. On top of that, winter quarter somehow seems to be the time when everyone has their hardest classes. Because of this, it can be a particularly tough time for a lot of people. However, there are some things that you can do to make the “worst” quarter as good as it can possibly be. This year, don’t let yourself get trapped in the winter quarter slump. 

1. Take advantage of the cold weather

Although Davis weather in the winter might not seem extreme to some people, coming from Southern California, actually having it rain and be somewhat cold is a welcome change for me. I know a lot of people hate cold, rainy weather, but it isn’t all bad. There are some things that you can only do when the weather is cold, so you should try your best to take advantage of the season! For example, activities like ice skating and driving up to the snow for a day aren’t things you can do every time of the year. Watching cheesy movies and drinking hot chocolate with your friends is almost infinitely better when the weather outside is cold and, in my opinion, some foods just taste better when it’s not warm outside. There are few things better than the warm feeling you get after eating hot pot or ramen when the weather is cold, and sitting in a cafe drinking hot coffee in the rain honestly sounds like heaven. So, while you might be more limited on what you can do when the weather is cold, taking advantage of things that are unique to the season will help you feel much better. 

2. Take a lighter course load

Like I mentioned earlier, somehow winter quarter seems to be the time that people are taking their hardest classes. I don’t think it’s intentional, and maybe it’s just the gloomy weather making it harder to get things done, but winter usually does seem to be a pretty difficult time academically for most people. Because of this, I would strongly suggest trying to take a lighter course load if you can. While you might be trying to take advantage of the fact that you’ll be stuck inside more often with nothing to do but study, overloading yourself with hard classes during a gloomy time probably isn’t the best idea. Especially if you know that you struggle with your mental health during this time, consider giving yourself a bit of a break if you can fit some slack into your schedule. Having less pressure on yourself will make the winter a lot easier and less stressful. 

3. Change up your routine

Being stuck inside in the cold might make you lose your motivation, and as a result, you might find yourself in a bit of a slump. Thankfully, this one can be an easy fix, and all it takes is making small changes to your routine. Doing something simple like trying a new meal, picking up a new hobby, or waking up earlier in the morning can make a huge impact on your motivation and overall happiness. Especially when you’re feeling a little gloomy, going to the gym more often or trying a new workout class can help improve your mood as well. Introducing small, positive things into your routine to change things up will help keep you from falling victim to the winter quarter slump. 

4. Spend time with friends 

While you might not want to go out bar hopping downtown in the rain, you can still do plenty of fun things with your friends during the winter if you’re creative. Cooking, watching movies, playing board/video games, or trying a new creative hobby together can be just as much fun as going out. Especially if you tend to struggle mentally in the winter, being with your friends as much as possible and trying new things could help you feel better. 

Even though winter can be hard, following these tips can help you make it a decent quarter! Don’t let yourself fall victim to the winter quarter slump, and make sure to take time for yourself when you need it. 

Sarah is currently pursuing a degree in Design (with a focus in UI/UX design and graphic design) and a minor in communications. After graduation, she hopes to work in app design/production or packaging and marketing design. In her free time, she can probably be found reading, painting, exercising, dancing, or cooking and exploring new restaurants with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!