This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Long distance relationships are not easy and require dedication and effort. I, myself, am in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend of a year and a half and it hasn’t always been easy, but our relationship has thrived even through the ups and downs of long distance. 

I like having the time to miss him, because it makes the time, when we are together, even more precious. The time apart from each other has made our relationship stronger because it has allowed us to grow as individuals, but also grow as a couple. 

Even though long-distance relationships sound like a deal-breaker for some individuals when it comes to relationships, recent research suggests that long-distance relationships are of equal or even more trust and satisfaction than their geographically close couples. 

Image source: Pexels

Along with long distance couples still being able to maintain trust and satisfaction within their relationships in comparison to geographically close couples, research also shows that long-distance couples thrive in other aspects of relationships such as communication. According to Lori Gottlieb, a psychotherapist who specializes in relationships, “One of the greatest benefits is that you do a lot more talking and learning about each other, since you spend more time having conversations than you might if you were sitting side-by-side watching Netflix, or out running errands or doing activities together.”

Throughout my relationship, I’ve learned what works and doesn’t work in a long-distance relationship. Here are some tips that can help long distance couples maintain a healthy and successful relationship: 

1. Communication is Key 

It’s important that as a couple you both set time aside to talk to each other, even with busy schedules just a few calls a day can make a big difference. 

2. Take advantage of the technology available

Skype or FaceTime whenever possible. Being able to see your partners face makes it easier when being away from them and it kind of makes it feel as if they are there with you. 

3. Set aside time for virtual dates 

One of my favorite things to do with my boyfriend is having a Netflix date. We both watch the same movie at the same time and it’s nice to just have each other’s company. 

4. Set aside a date for when you can see each other

It’s important to try and see each other whenever either of you have free time in your schedule. Make sure to plan ahead and stick to the date you plan on seeing each other. 

Image source: Pexels

5. Plan fun dates

When you do finally see each other, it’s nice to have dates planned. Try going to visit new places where you and your significant other have never been to have a bonding experience with each other.  Setting plans also makes something for you both to look forward to.

6. Trust in each other

Long distance relationships can’t work without trusting each other and trusting in your relationship.

Image source: Pexels

No relationship is perfect. There will definitely be difficult moments in your long distance relationship, just like any other relationship. However, always try to remember that long distance is a commitment and it shows that you and your partner are dedicated to each other to make things work.

Alana is a fourth year Design student with a double minor in Textiles and Clothing and Professional Writing. She enjoys writing, sports, and binge-watching television series. With her Design major and love for writing she hopes to either go into marketing or fashion journalism.