This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We have reached that point of the quarter where we have become too lazy to keep up with our healthy routines, making us more susceptible to catching the flu or a cold. Being at college, it’s so easy to get sick. We are surrounded by so many sick students every day, and we don’t even know it. They touch our desks, chairs, bus handles, and more, spreading their germs.

So, if you think about it, it’s really not our fault when we get sick. Or at least that’s what I tell my mom every time I call her and I’m sick. It’s college and one thing you will learn here is how to get deal with and get rid of a cold or the flu.

I tend to cope with sickness a little differently than most people I know. I come from a family that tries to fix everything herbally and naturally. Yes, I know, I’m THAT person.

Regardless, here are a few of my tips and suggestions to kick your cold in the butt:

Eat spicy food

Every single time I get sick, the first thing I do is go out and get some type of super spicy food — usually Chinese food for me. Spicy foods are super good for you, and when you’re sick your tolerance for spice goes way up. If you don’t want to buy food out and save money, I recommend buying a bottle of crushed red pepper flakes and adding this to your regular dishes. This tip will help, trust me.

Wear a billion layers

Always when you’re sick, you must wear layers upon layers upon layers. If you want to get rid of your sickness, you just have to sweat it out. You may look a little strange walking around campus, but it’s better to get rid of your sickness as fast as possible!

Image source: Giphy

Eat lemon and honey

Squeeze a little bit of lemon into a bowl or glass, and add enough honey to make it sweet enough to eat. You can also add this to your favorite tea. Do this 2-3 times a day… it’s like a natural cough syrup! It works, I swear.

Wear a hat

Keeping your head warm is super important, especially if you are trying to break a fever.

Image source: Shared.com

Use lotion tissues

This isn’t particularly for getting over a cold, but rather making it less horrible. We all know that after blowing your nose for what seems like a thousand times a day, your nose can get super rough, dry, and irritated. Just buy the lotion tissues. I cannot explain to you how important these are to me when I am sick. They are my lifesaver.

Image source: Assets 

Vitamin C

I have this great 100% Vitamin C powder that I dissolve in water and drink. Per glass of water, you only need a tiny bit of the powder because it is so strong. Vitamin C is very important when you’re sick! If you cannot buy the powder, then eat extreme amounts of oranges.

Take herbal supplement pills

My whole life I have been taking herbal supplements; it’s just what my mom raised me to do. When I am sick I take Ashwagandha (an antioxidant), but there are plenty of other supplement types you can take. I recommend going to the closest health food store (try the Davis Co-op) and asking someone who works there what they recommend for getting over a cold or the flu.

Gargle with salt water

Salt is good for you when you’re sick, so gargling with salt water will help by putting it right in the back of your throat. This is especially good when you have a sore throat.

Image source: Giphy

Eat raw garlic

Garlic is the most amazing thing. Chop it up super small and just swallow it down with a glass of water. Don’t crush the garlic; it makes it more pungent when you do. If you’re struggling to swallow it, I highly recommend using juice to drink it down.

Get rest

Seriously. Just lay in bed and sleep, do homework, or watch TV when you’re sick. Your friends may all be going out that night, but do what’s best for your body and don’t go with them. Stay in bed instead and get better so you can go out with your friends next weekend!

Drink water

This may be an obvious one, but sometimes it’s the most important things that we forget. Drink extra water when you’re sick because you need to flush the sickness out of your body.

Image source: Active Cities

With finals approaching quickly, it is more important than ever to keep up your health. If you happen to feel yourself getting a sore throat or a runny nose, act immediately. Play it safe by taking care of yourself early on, rather than letting your cold or flu getting worse!

Cover image source: Pexels

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!