This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Dear Freshmen,

Campus life could be nonexistent this year if you don’t take the initiative to get involved. With the switch to online learning, incoming freshmen may have a harder time finding a community and a reliable group of friends. Finding your place in college amongst diverse and large numbers of people can be difficult, so here are some ways to get involved in school and find your niche.

Check out Virtual Involvement Fairs.

This is where you can find an official list of clubs and organizations who are recruiting new members. Even if it’s just for info night, get on Zoom and introduce yourself! You may find many others in the same boat, and clubs are excited to have new members. You can also find other organizations that suit your liking.

women sitting next to each other with laptops
Photo by WOCinTech distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

Now that you’ve seen what’s out there…

Join a major-specific club.

Major-specific clubs are not usually limited to those in your major but it’s a great chance to meet upperclassmen and learn about your future possibilities. You get to meet those who you will eventually get to see in upper-division classes. Major-specific clubs are connected to the advisor, therefore you may gain a better sense of connection to the faculty.

Join an interest-specific club.

College has no limit of the types of clubs that you can join. There are clubs based on ethnicity, religion, journalism, photography, you name it!

Join a sorority/fraternity based on your interests.

There are social, community service, and professional fraternities. Professional fraternities include business and medical. Organizations like these can help you network and build relationships with others. You may also meet your best friends or housemates through these tight knit organizations.

Talk to your RA.

College is fun but it’s also tough. It’s important to seek out help when you need it. RA’s are there to help guide you through your first year of college.

See what others are doing.

There is bound to be a Facebook group of your whole freshman class out there. Get talking! Talk to your floormates (from a safe distance) about what their interests are and what clubs they’ve found. Share your knowledge!

Congratulations to the incoming freshmen class of 2024. I hope you find yourself in college. College is a really big, diverse, and unique place for personal growth, professional development, and FUN! Although the current situation is not ideal, I hope you can make friends and enjoy college the years you spend here.

From,

Sandra (junior)

Sandra is a senior at UC Davis who enjoys dancing, cooking, and vlogging. She is currently a statistics and communications double major with a minor in economics. She used to be a writer for the Junior Writer's program at Korea Daily Newspaper, a local Koreatown newspaper in Los Angeles. She has high ambitions with big dreams. You can find her everyday life vlogs and creativity on her Youtube channel, sysandyl and sysandylife.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!