Wellness

How to Feel Less Alone During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Practicing social distancing is an unprecedented experience for the majority of us, making the transition from being surrounded by friends and other students in college to isolating in our homes particularly challenging. While there’s nothing that can truly replace getting to spend in-person time with those closest to us, here are some valuable practices that make quarantine more manageable.     

1. FaceTime study dates

If you’re used to studying with friends at the library or in coffee shops, implementing FaceTime study dates into your routine can add a degree of normalcy and make sitting at your desk for most of the day more enjoyable! As the shift to online classes is inevitably stressful, being on FaceTime with a friend while navigating this transition can be comforting, and also help you keep focused if you find it difficult to stay productive at home. 

a picture of a picture of a woman on a phone, which is tucked into a plant with fairy lights behind it
Dollar Gill | Unsplash

2. Spend time with whoever you are quarantined with

This certainly is not applicable to everyone, but making an effort to spend quality time with whoever you are quarantined with can be beneficial. Many of us are in our childhood homes with family and pets, and may not find ourselves back in Davis for an extended period of time. It’s understandable that you may not want to spend additional time with the select number of people you are with, whether that be family or a roommate(s), but this can help you feel more connected to others and you may not have the opportunity to do so in the future.

3. Plan virtual hangouts

In addition to study dates, plan to catch up with friends and spend (virtual) time together! It’s important to actually schedule these plans like you would, when meeting in person, in order to make sure that they actually happen. Planning in advance also gives you something to look forward to, which can add structure to your weeks and ease some of the additional stress that this time of uncertainty is likely contributing to. Movie nights, trying out new recipes or workouts, and making collaborative Spotify playlists are some ideas of what to do over FaceTime/Zoom/Google Hangouts. Even just scheduling time to chat is a great way to stay connected to friends while physically isolated from them. 

4. Journal 

While an inherently solo activity may sound counterintuitive to feeling less alone, journaling can be a great tool to reflect on how you are feeling and coping with the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s important to stay connected to yourself, especially now that you likely have more alone time. Before social distancing, many of us were constantly busy and surrounded by others, so take advantage of this change in pace to prioritize reflection and self improvement, which is especially crucial in this turbulent time when you may feel disconnected.

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there\'s a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.
Free-Photos | Pixabay
It’s vital that we all practice self care and check in on one another during this time of uncertainty and loss. Even while physically distant, hopefully these tips help you stay connected to others and make adjusting to the changes caused by the pandemic more manageable.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!