How to Be a Long-Distance Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Long-distance romantic relationships are often talked about, but what about long-distance friendships? What’s a girl to do when college puts many miles between her and her best friend? Distance apart doesn’t mean your friendship has to fade, and it’s well known that true friends are able to maintain the love even when they can’t see each other face to face. Here are some ways to keep your friendship fresh, fun, and practical until you meet again:

Take Advantage of Technology

There are so many great ways to stay in touch with friends these days, whether you make time to regularly Skype or simply send a text now and then. Whether you’re using your cell phone, Skype, Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat, seeing pictures and messages from your friend will help you feel like you are still a part of their life. Sharing silly or interesting things with each other (like outfit pictures, funny quotes, or cat videos) is also one of the best ways to remember why you ended up being friends in the first place.

Be Understanding

You’re busy, your friend is busy, and days will slip by before either one of you remembers to call or text. Forget the days of high school when you and your friends felt ignored if a text wasn’t responded to within the minute. Those kind of expectations should be limited to a younger crowd as you and your friend establish new, grown-up lives. The time you do share will feel sweeter and happier if there is no sense of obligation. 

Send a Care Package or Letter

Have you ever wanted someone to send you a surprise package or letter? Chances are, someone else in your life would love one of those too! Why not send a care package or a fun letter to your best friend when they are away at college? If you don’t have the time to write a letter or put together a package, it’s always fun to order something for them online and have it mailed to their address (especially if a store is having a free shipping promotion!).

Remember Birthdays

I personally am terrible at remembering dates, but thanks to Facebook I’ve been much better about wishing my friends a happy birthday. Pay attention to Facebook birthday notifications, and buy a calender to record your friend’s birthdays so you can plan to make them feel special, whether you decide to text them early in the morning or order a present to surprise them with.

Re-Create Your Matching Days of Yore

Remember the good old days when there was nothing as exciting as matching your best friend in middle school? It’s also fun to plan matching outfits with your far away friend of today! You won’t look ridiculous since you won’t be side by side, and you can have a fun sense of connection knowing you and your bestie are wearing the same pink skirt on Wednesdays.

Rachel is majoring in English at UC Davis and has a passion for sharing tips on living happily and stylishly on a budget, among other exciting hobbies. She loves cats, Pomeranians, anything covered in chocolate, earl grey tea, and her husband, a handsome UC Davis graduate. You'll find her lost somewhere in the halls of Voorhies, or in the frozen aisle of Trader Joe's stocking up on delectable turkey meatballs. She loves to write and hopes her articles add a little extra joy to your busy life!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!