This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

***TRIGGER WARNING: article discusses depression, self-harm, suicide, and other sensitive topics. Please read at your own discretion***

13 Reasons Why is the hit Netflix original discussing the journey and unfortunate suicide of high school student Hannah Baker. The goal of producing such a raw show was to reveal the “realities” of suicide in young teens: what leads up to it, the struggle to seek help, and the impending emotions of hopelessness and isolation. However, just a few months after the show’s debut, suicide rates in adolescents jumped by ~28%, along with an increase in self-harm admissions to emergency departments and children’s hospitals. Although there is no definitive evidence that the show directly caused a spike in self-harm, the show has many problematic takes on the progression of suicide and the aftermath of it. Here are a handful of ways that 13 Reasons Why glorified suicide. 

1. Motivation of suicide becoming a name-blame game

13 Reasons Why portrayed the motivation of suicide to be for objective, discrete reasons, rather than emphasizing that those “reasons” are triggers that gradually build to a feeling of hopelessness. While the show did expose harmful events that can lead to debilitating mental health issues, it was unrealistic to make Hannah point fingers and say, “Because of you, I am choosing to harm myself.” This can be a dangerous message to display to adolescents, as it implies that self-harm is a natural response to others hurting you. If the show had focused more on Hannah’s internal thoughts after experiencing bullying and sexual trauma, it would have been clearer that feelings of loneliness, betrayal, and destroyed self-esteem potentially lead to suicide.

2. Hannah Baker appearing as Visions in Clay’s life

Hannah Baker reappears in Season 2 after her death, becoming a vision “haunting” Clay in his daily life. Bringing Hannah back as a presence in the second season makes it seem like one will “live on” beyond death, where once a person dies, they will be able to go back and observe people from their past. Death is a sensitive topic, but it is important to understand that it means a lack of existence. Once a person dies, that’s it. There is no proof of being reborn and witnessing people in your life before.

3. Having perpetrators feel consumed by guilt

Not only is it impossible to observe anybody after death, but banking self-harm on making perpetrators feel guilty is absurd. This mindset was clearly documented when Hannah took the time to create 13 different tapes for 13 different people before committing suicide. The show glorified the idea that by committing, one will finally get people to feel shame. The world can be cruel— some people will be unfazed even if they have gravely wronged you. An even harsher reality: people will eventually move on with their lives. The show ignored these harsh truths and implied that the only way to make people understand the harm they committed is to hurt yourself. 

4. Making Clay Jensen an everlasting savior

On one hand, the show made it seem that self-harm will make perpetrators feel bad. On the other hand, the show created a character like Clay Jensen, a boy who sacrificed so much to avenge a girl he liked in high school. His character portrays a very risky assumption that once a person dies, there will be a savior for them who will go out of their way to hurt those who wronged them. Of course, family members and close friends will always feel the pain of losing a loved one, but it is unrealistic to display that one of these loved ones will break out of their shell to confront those who hurt you.

conclusion

Suicide is a tragic event that is, unfortunately, too common in this world. While 13 Reasons Why took a bold risk in bringing exposure to suicide in adolescents, it did a terrible job of discussing the realities of suicide. Instead, they dramatized suicide to be a martyr-like sacrifice. The purpose behind creating 13 Reasons Why is admirable; I believe if the show focused more on the internal thoughts of Hannah, showed a greater struggle in her seeking help, and focused less on side characters, my opinions would have completely shifted. 

Gayathri is a third-year Biotechnology major and director of the UCD Her Campus Digital Media team. She loves to write, work out, sing, and sleep (college students need more of that nowadays). When not indulging in her boba addiction, she likes to wind down by watching hilarious Youtube vids with a hot cup of tea.