historical buildings in cambridge
historical buildings in cambridge
Original photo by Dasha Pitts-Yushchenko

Historical Fiction Shows and Films You Should Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When looking at genres that I love to explore, historical fiction has always been a personal favorite of mine. From the costuming, cinematography, romance, and witty dialogue, this genre always has something new to offer. Below is a list of my personal favorite series and films that fall under this genre!

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Pride and Prejudice is hailed as one of the most famous pieces of literature in history, and this adaptation by Joe Wright does not disappoint. The famous love story between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy is timeless and watching both Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen’s portrayal of these characters makes for both an entertaining and heartwarming watch. The whole film is immaculate, from the costuming to the cinematography, visuals, locations, and dialogue. The mise-en-scene of the film does a phenomenal job of staying true to the spirit of the novel. Every cast member fits their character and once you start watching you will find yourself invested the whole way through and seeing how the romance between Elizabeth and Darcy unfolds.

Anne With An E 

Anne With An E is a show centering around the story of Anne of Green Gables. The story of Anne is about an orphan who comes to Green Gables and partakes in adventures and escapades. The show does an incredible job of intertwining complex themes of gender norms, misogyny, feminism, prejudice, etc. into the narrative of the story. This show does an incredible job of making the world a rich one while also incorporating nuances in the dialogue, characters, visuals, score, and the overall mise-en-scene. You will find yourself becoming invested in so many of the relationships in the show. From the beautiful touching friendship between Diana and Anne, the romance of Gilbert and Anne, as well as the beautiful familial relationship that the Cuthberts have with Anne, this show is truly a brilliant masterpiece. 

Little Women (2019) 

Little Women has had so many retellings when looking at the history of cinema. So what makes Greta Gerwig’s version so different from the others? The narrative follows the four March sisters and their crossing from childhood to adulthood. This film brings a refreshing take to a classic that is both true to its era while holding a modern feel. The story is told in a non-linear manner, so we as the audience are experiencing what is happening both in the present for the characters as well as getting insight into the past. The film keeps you constantly engaged with each of the sister’s character arcs. I find myself often reflecting on so many scenes that played out in the film. There is a moment in particular where I found myself deeply relating to Jo, played by Saoirse Ronan, and her monologue on admitting how lonely she feels. The expectations of society versus what you as a woman want is something so difficult to navigate, and it makes Jo’s character feel more real when she confides this struggle to the audience. 

The Crown 

This show centers around the royal family and specifically Queen Elizabeth II and her passage into becoming queen as well as what the aftermath of her taking the crown entails. Every two seasons, the casting for Queen Elizabeth II changes in order to convey her growth as a monarch as well as how she has aged with time while holding this weighty responsibility. There is so much uncovered with this show in terms of the Royal family history as well as their ties to certain political and national events that have transpired in the UK. The cinematography is immaculate and the score does a breathtaking job in keeping you engaged the whole way through. From learning about the personal relationships the Queen has had with her sister and husband, to topics that only the media has highlighted such as the story between Princess Diana and Prince Philip, you will be introduced to the inner workings of the Royal family and find yourself unable to draw your eyes away from the screen.

All of the recommendations above are incredible watches and if you find yourself wanting to dabble in historical fiction I find the ones above to be a great place to start! 

Ritobrita Mishra is a fourth year majoring in both English and Cinema Digital Media.