Her Wallpaper Reverie: Stop and Smell the Roses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I was writing the date across the top of my homework last week, the seemingly obvious thought that it was already May crossed my mind. Apparently, while I had my back turned, April had ended, as had the first half of spring quarter and the majority of the school year. It took a moment for this to really register, but when it did, all I could do was wonder: where did the time go? Sometimes it feels like you close your eyes for just a second, and the world rushes past. It’s hard to appreciate the little moments when you’re busy juggling school, work, friends, and life in general. But unless we slow down every now and then, time will only continue to fly. So, the next time you feel like your day, your week, even your life is passing you by all too quickly, take a moment. Breathe. Stop and smell the roses. And while you’re there, here are 5 other things in life that are worth every second.

1. Reading a good book. As a kid, I loved to read. Night after night I stayed up past my bedtime, huddled under the covers with a flashlight and a copy my favorite Nancy Drew mystery. Today, I still spend a lot of late nights reading. Reading textbooks in the library, that is. It’s a rare treat for me these days to curl up with a book just for fun. But when I do, I’m reminded that nothing beats the thrill of a great book, be it a new bestseller or an old favorite.

2. Enjoying a perfect cup of tea. I drink enough coffee to keep Starbucks in business, but when I want to relax, nothing beats a cuppa. To brew the perfect cup of tea, start with cold water. While it is heating on the stove, warm your favorite mug by filling it with hot water from the tap. Leave the water in there until the water on the stove is boiling, then drain it completely. Add a splash of milk if desired. Put your favorite teabag in your mug, then pour the boiling water over it and let it steep for 3-5 minutes. Now here’s the secret: walk away. Your teabag need not be stirred, dunked, squeezed, or otherwise disturbed in the steeping process, for doing so will only yield a weak or bitter cup. When your tea is the desired richness, remove the teabag. Add lemon or sugar to taste. Now find a picturesque window to curl up by, pick up that good book you just started reading, and enjoy your perfect cup of tea!

3. Holding the door for someone. Even if it’s for a stranger and you’re in a hurry, doing good makes you feel good. What many people see as little acts of kindness, such as smiling at a stranger or saying thank you, are enough to make someone’s day. With time as precious as it is, we can’t rely on other people to make the world a happier place–we all have to step up and do our part!

4. Listening to an album start to finish. Thanks to the proliferation of iPods and single-song downloads, people rarely listen to entire albums in one sitting, let alone at all. But just as a chapter of a book cannot stand alone, the songs of a good album are meant to flow together both musically and emotionally. Whether you’re in the mood for an emotional rollercoaster or some classic feel-good riffs, give your mp3 player a rest and indulge in a start-to-finish music marathon.

5. Calling just to say hi. (And no, texting doesn’t count.) In an age of technology that relies more on tweeting than actually talking, picking up the phone just to say hello may seem pointless. Nonetheless, taking the time to catch up with someone you love is worth every second. Pick up the phone and call your bestie, your brother, your mom–whoever!–and see for yourself.

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21644167@N04/3471356361/in/photostream/