Her Wallpaper Reverie: Pretty, Pretty Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Move aside, Kate Middleton! We may not all be married to a prince, but that doesn’t mean we can’t rock like royalty. Think you’ve got what it takes to be UC Davis’s next royal highness? Read on, collegiettes™–or should I say princesses?

Step 1: Find a prince.
Don’t be so quick to brush off a campus crush, ladies! If Kate Middleton could meet her prince while studying at the University of St. Andrews, who knows what kind of Prince Charming could be in your next bio class? Of course, sometimes it seems like a guy worthy of your affections–the most important crown jewels of them all–is as hard to find as a real-life prince. Instead of waiting around for him to come to you, take matters into your own hands and approach the next cutie who catches your eye. Before you know it, you could have a romance as good as royalty!

Step 2: Dress the part.
As a princess, one must never look any less than her best. This spring, skip the crazy trends for a classic glamour that’s fit for a queen. When you wear simple, chic clothing, your true beauty doesn’t have to compete with sequins, spandex, and sparkle for the attention of the kingdom. Let the real you shine with elegant, well-made wardrobe pieces that will never go out of style and can be mixed and matched for any occasion. Classics like a stylish day-to-night top, a little black dress, and a great pair of jeans always look great. They can be updated season after season with trendy accessories like scarves, jewelry, shoes, and of course, a tiara!

Step 3: Don’t forget the little people.
Every princess needs a break from the royal spotlight now and then. Embrace the beautiful spring weather and head out with your friends for a sunny afternoon bike ride or a night out on the town. If you’re looking for something new and exciting to do, check out the Davis Dirt for a comprehensive listing of daily music, art, food, and social events happening throughout Davis. Craving a girls’ night in? After a long week of exams and papers, nothing is more relaxing than an evening of cocktails and conversation at home with your girls. Whip up some Cosmopolitans, cue the romantic comedy marathon, and let the girl time begin!

Step 4: Live happily ever after.
Your apartment may not be as grand as a castle, but home is where the heart is. To furnish your place with flair on a college budget, mix affordable furniture from Target and IKEA with eclectic souvenirs from your travels and thrift store finds. For a look that is truly one-of-a-kind, check out decorating blogs for DIY inspiration, or peruse the nearly endless unique handmade treasures on Etsy. Paint your walls a statement color, or for a less-permanent look, hang a variety of art, mirrors, and clocks throughout your apartment. You’ll feel just like you’re in your very own Buckingham Palace!

And when all that fails, there’s always Pretty Pretty Princess.

Edited by: Brianna Frisch