Her Wallpaper Reverie: Before I Die

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Another year of school is quickly drawing to a close, and my mind has been racing with all of the things I need to do before I head home for summer. With deadlines, papers, and final exams looming in the very-near future, it’s easy to get caught up in the little tasks that rule your day-to-day life and forget what’s really important to you. But, instead of beginning my to-do list just yet, I’m taking a moment to begin a different kind of list, inspired by a beautiful project I recently discovered.

The “Before I die I want to…” project documents hundreds of people’s responses to a simple question: What do you want to do before you die? The creators behind the project snap a Polaroid of individuals saying what they want to do before they die, then have them write this desire on the Polaroid. Years later, they contact the participants to see if they have accomplished their goal, if they are on their way, or why they haven’t made steps in that direction. At this future time, participants write a short story next to their photo on the website about fulfilling their expressed dream. You can read these stories online and see how other people are fulfilling their desires, and maybe even motivate yourself to do the same.

The stories are unique and may surprise you. More than just a reflection of cultural desires and personal dreams, the project explores a new realm of sociological art by urging people to take action and fulfill their life goals.

Before I die, I want to…

1. Visit each of the seven continents.
2. Leave a positive mark on the world.
3. Go to law school.
4. Raise a child.
5. Go on a road trip without a predetermined destination.
6. Learn a different language.
7. Open a bakery.
8. Pull off a fantastic public prank.
10. Go to a film premiere.
11. Sing on Broadway.
12. Invent something.
13. Write the story of my life.
14. Take the trip of a lifetime.

…and that’s just the beginning! What do you want to do before you die, collegiettes™?

Edited by: Brianna Frisch