This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the clock strikes midnight and we bid farewell to another year, the promise of a clean slate encourages us to embrace change and set new intentions for the months ahead. Sure, New Year’s is over but that doesn’t mean that it’s too late to form some new (better) habits. Whether it’s cultivating a healthier lifestyle, boosting your productivity, or picking up a new skill to foster personal growth, the key is to be consistent with small actions each day. Not sure where to start? Here are some habits that I want to build in the new year.

• Exercising: Honestly, I entered fall quarter with the idea that I would be able to go to the gym at least every other day. I was wrong. I was taking 3 courses and had Mondays and Fridays free but still, going to the gym was so hard. Maybe it was the colder weather or the idea of having to commute there but if I was lucky, I went once a week. So, with this new year, I’m hoping to exercise at least every other day. Whether going to the gym or going out for a quick run, I’m going to try to stay active—both for my physical and mental health.
  • Reading More: During quarantine, I was in my reading era—and I definitely miss it. It was a great way for me to take a break without technology so I’m going to try to read for fun every day for at least 20 minutes.
  • Prioritizing Self-Care: In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it’s easy to neglect self-care. Maybe it’s reading, exercising, or taking a nice shower but set aside time to do something that you enjoy. For me, I got caught up in academics and school work fall quarter, and the constant feeling of being overwhelmed made stress management feel impossible. To prioritize my self-care, I’m planning to dedicate some time for breaks during each of my study sessions.
  • Cooking: It’s so easy to just reheat Trader Joe’s frozen foods and while that might be helpful when you’re crunched for time, I’m going to try to rely less on it. I’ve found that when I make my meals from scratch, I feel so much better, but there are times when I might not feel like cooking a whole meal. So, I’m going to try to prepare my ingredients beforehand by grocery shopping over the weekend and then meal-prepping for the week.

Habits thrive on routine and while it is hard to get started, consistency is key. Over time, the small actions will become ingrained in your routine, making them easier to maintain. Plus, feel free to mix things up: If your habit is enjoyable, it can be sustainable. Keep things fresh and exciting by incorporating variety. Most importantly, celebrate small victories along the way and stay committed to your long-term goals. Forming new habits is a powerful way to shape our lives and by approaching it with intention and patience, we can set ourselves up for success.

Phoebe is a current third-year at UC Davis majoring in Economics and Science & Technology Studies. She hopes to attend law school in the future. Outside of her academic interests, she enjoys trying new foods, spending time with friends, and traveling.