Dorm room bed with lights
Dorm room bed with lights
Sarah Ehrlich
Life > Experiences

Goodbye Freshman Year Dorms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Up until going away to college, I’ve only ever considered one place home, that being the apartment I spent my whole life growing up in. In fact, my concept of home had always been constricted to your place of residence. It wasn’t until coming to college when I realized that the concept of home meant so much more than it’s technical definition. 

I clearly remember the mix of nerves and suppressed excitement I felt on the day of move-in. Dorm life was a rite of passage that I couldn’t wait to begin, but these feelings of excitement were clouded by anxiety of leaving the only home I’ve ever known. Being a whole six hours away from it only added to the anxiety that I was feeling. I was less intimidated of sharing a small, shared space, but rather being thrown into a foreign environment and living practically with strangers.

two people working on laptop together at work job
Pexels / Startup Stock Photos
Eventually, as the weeks passed, I got closer and closer with my roommates and more acquainted with Madrone hall and the vastness of Tercero. Any feelings that I once had of homesickness quickly melted away. As I began to find my people at Davis, and my roommates being a poignant part of that, the warm fuzzy feeling that I thought was saved for my home in Los Angeles began to grow for my quaint little dorm room in Davis. 

After being quickly and abruptly uprooted from my dorm room as a result of coronavirus, I increasingly miss little aspects of dorm life. I miss being able to take the brisk two minute walk to the Tercero Dining Commons and having the option of eating every meal with my best friends, always sitting in the same spot near the bistro. I miss the routine that my roommates and I had built of doing our night time routines at the same time in the gender neutral bathroom, where we’d inevitably bump into the same cycle of people from our floor. I miss the nights of cramming our friends into our dorm room for game nights or movie nights, hanging out on the window ledge wrapped in blankets, and even the noises of people running through the halls. 

girls friends hair food abroad spain scarf mirror restaurant
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Losing what was supposed to be my last quarter in the dorms makes me increasingly grateful for these little memories that shaped my freshman year. Despite the obvious downsides of dorm life, there’s truly nothing like it, and nothing I’d rather have done my freshman year. Coming out of it, it’s clear to me that I couldn’t have ever found my home at Davis in the same capacity without the family I’d formed at Davis, and most importantly my roommates. Two girls I’d found on Facebook quickly became my best friends, and there wasn’t anybody else I’d rather have spent each and every day with.

My first two quarters at Davis have shown me that home is a product of the people you surround yourself with, and I couldn’t be more grateful for the home I found in Madrone 306. 

Catherine Sievers is a second year sociology and communication double major at UCD with a Spanish minor. She enjoys writing, reading, the outdoors, and getting coffee with friends. She hopes to work in the non profit sector after graduation.