The Good Ol’ Days Return

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

Do you remember the days of blissful ignorance?  The days where you had no care in the world?  The days where all you worried about was what you were going to eat, who you were going to play with, and what toys you could find?  Why can’t we go back to those days?   Oh right, because we have class, homework, work, extracurriculars, the list continues on.  Despite the demands of our over-packed schedules, I don’t see why we can’t enjoy some of the activities we loved when we were children and go back to those times, even if just for a moment.

Bike.  
We used to bike just for fun.  Now, biking is a means of transportation.  More specifically, it’s a faster way of getting to class when we sleep in late.  Rather than speeding through life all the time, take the time to go on a leisurely bike ride through Davis.  Our city is so beautiful; make sure you appreciate the short amount of time that you’re here.

Rollerskate.  However much I hated protective pads and helmets, I always put them on to rollerskate/rollerblade.  There are a lot of roller rinks in Sacramento complete with neon paint, flashing colored lights, and fun music!  Head down with some girlfriends and skate the night away!

Board Games.  The list of board games is never-ending.  Find one that involves acting, drawing, guessing, basically interactive games.  They are a fun way to learn more about your friends, be silly, carefree, and fun!

Make a Fort.  Grab all your blankets and pillows and start building.  Once you’ve completed your fort to perfection, grab snacks and a flashlight.  Have a sleep-out in your fort with your roommates or friends.
Note: ghost stories are a must.

Play Tag.  We all miss that little rush we got when one of our friends was chasing after us.  Break into two teams, pick an “it” person from each team, and have them tag someone only on their team.  It makes tag a big more interesting, while involving more people and creating that same excitement.

Color.  Find some printer paper or some cheesy coloring books from the Dollar Tree.  Go back to the basics of crayons or markers.  Remember what it was like to have no thoughts except which color to use next.  Get lost in the silent serenity of mindless coloring.

Roll Down a Hill.  Davis is mostly flat, but there is the occasional grassy hill.  Throw on some clothes that you don’t care about and get dizzy from something other than alcohol.  Roll down the grassy hill with no purpose or intention other than to enjoy life.

Look at the Clouds.  Nobody truly enjoys when the clouds are up above because it usually signals rain.  Take the opportunity to lie in the Quad, Arboretum, on-campus field, or Central Park and look up at the clouds.  Just breathe and find shapes in the constantly moving objects above.

This is just a short list of fun activities to return to in your college days.  We all need and deserve a break from the stress of everyday life, which is exactly what these childish activities can do for us.  Take the time to enjoy life with something from this list or something that you loved when you were a kid.  

http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/news_topics/wisconsin?page=9

http://www.therinksacramento.com/

http://fuckyeahblanketforts.tumblr.com/

http://pleated-jeans.com/2009/06/29/how-to-safely-roll-down-the-side-of-a-hill/

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.