This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We know now that the widespread quarantine has led to extreme impacts on our environment in a short period of time: carbon dioxide pollution and emissions from travel are significantly decreasing (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/5-ways-the-economic-upheaval-of-coronavirus-may-impact-co2-emissions/), air quality is improving (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/21/air-pollution-falls-as-coronavirus-slows-travel-but-it-forms-a-new-threat.html), and I’m sure by now everyone has seen the pictures of the clear water in the Venice Canals (https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/coronavirus/venice-canals-clear-dolphins-swim-italy-lockdown/). While we are all anticipating our return to normalcy, these extreme circumstances are showing us the impact that our activity truly has on our planet and now is an opportune time to evaluate how we can be more sustainable in our everyday lives. Here are a few small things that can reduce your carbon emissions and keep you entertained while at home.

Make your own oat milk

• I have been dairy free due to my lactose intolerance for almost seven years now, and oat milk has been my favorite dairy alternative to date. Since self-isolating I have experimented a bit with how to make my own oat milk at home, and perfected the flavor to suit my taste (I add honey and a bit of vanilla). You can look up how to make your own on Pinterest or YouTube, and experiment with proportions to get different textures and flavors for your lattes, smoothies, or cereal.

coffee is poured into a glass cup on a counter. there is a carton of oat milk next to it
Christopher Rusev | Unsplash

Sort your waste

• In my on-campus job as a Sustainability Peer Educator, I’ve learned that almost no one has a full understanding of what is recyclable and what is not (including me!). Take some time to sort your trash according to the guidelines in your city – I know it sounds boring, but it’s actually surprisingly gratifying to know for sure that you are actually recycling rather than guessing and hoping for the best. Also, if recycling bins are past a certain point of “contamination,” meaning that a percentage of items in the bin are not recyclable, the whole recycling bin will go straight to landfill – even the recyclable items. No one sorts the trash after you throw it away, so try your best!

Evaluate your wardrobe

• Fast fashion has been a hot-button issue for younger generations recently due to labor issues and high rates of air pollution and material waste. As a result, thrift culture has been on the rise and Gen Z has been reviving iconic looks from the past. While we are not able to go to thrift stores currently, there are online thrift stores like ThredUp and Depop (and many more!) where you can discover one-of-a-kind items to spice up your wardrobe. If you’re not into thrifting, you can look into sustainable clothing brands to stay up on current trends while shopping ethically.

clothes
Becca McHaffie

I know it seems daunting to change aspects of your life that are familiar – you do not have to overhaul everything! Changing one small thing at a time is gratifying at a time where the state of our environment is on everyone’s mind. I recommend going on Pinterest and looking into sustainable lifestyle tips, zero waste, and meal prepping. All of these are sustainable, fulfilling, and will oftentimes save you money.

Madison Lefler is a third year at UC Davis double majoring in Psychology and Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning, with a minor in Technology Management. She is also a Sustainability Peer Educator for UC Davis Student Housing and Dining and enjoys makeup tutorials on YouTube, making boards on Pinterest for everything, and drinking overpriced lattes with her girlfriends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!