Going Back to Universal Studios After 10 Years: Why the Park is Worth the Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Growing up in SoCal means having access to all the amusement parks—Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Universal Studios. However, when my brother and I were young my parents would mostly take us to Disneyland or Knott’s Berry Farm since they were more kid-friendly places.

I remember I went to Universal maybe once or twice, the latest being when I was 12. It honestly wasn’t that amazing back then. It had the Mummy ride, Transformers, and different shows. Not as fun as Disneyland which had many choices or Six Flags which had an abundant amount of roller coasters.

But, when they announced Harry Potter World was coming to Universal Studios, I finally had a reason to go back. So, at long last, during spring break my family and I went to Universal, and boy oh boy is it different!

First of all, having the whole Harry Potter “world” there was such a smart move. It’s the most popular place to go, and those who have annual passes just stop by casually to enjoy it. It was honestly so magical going in and seeing Hogsmeade, drinking Butterbeer, going to Honeydukes, eating lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and going inside the Hogwarts Castle. It’s every Potter fan’s dream.

Here are some pictures I took in case you were wondering how magical it is!

Aside from Harry Potter World, Universal Studios upgraded in terms of attractions and rides! The Studio Tour included 3D motion-simulated portions. The Despicable Me ride is perfect for anyone, regardless of age. The Walking Dead attraction was fun since it’s different as far as actual people are trying to scare you.

Overall, I was happy with the changes Universal has made over the years. I think if you’re a Harry Potter fan and haven’t seen Harry Potter World yet, it’s definitely worth the trip to check it out. Try to look for a discount though! Prices have gone way up since 2006. Wow, I feel old…

All images were taken by the author.

Tara is a senior at UC Davis who is pursuing a degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Her passions include 80's rock music and getting as many food samples as she can at Costco.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!