Four Incredible Fantasy Series to Get You Out of A Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Fantasy is a vast genre with so many different elements that can pull readers in — from the worldbuilding that is built upon magic systems to iconic characters that keep the pace of the plot moving. It is a genre that can be both entertaining and refreshing and can help you explore your own imagination. When dealing with a reading slump, I find reading a fantasy series to be the perfect cure. Here are some of my favorite fantasy series that can help get you out of your reading slump. 

An Ember in The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

An incredible, action-packed, and captivating story that takes place in a world inspired by Middle Eastern mythology. We follow our two main protagonists Laia, a scholar slave, and Elias, a martial soldier, who are on opposing sides of the ongoing conflict between Martials and Scholars in the Martial empire. Set in a Roman Empire-inspired background, we see our two main protagonists’ fates intertwine and with the underlying romance, the story takes off into one emotional rollercoaster. This story will keep you constantly engaged and Tahir does an incredible job in making the world an immersive experience that will keep one up till three in the morning. 

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

This duology follows six characters living in the city of Ketterdam known for its slums and crime lords. The infamous Kaz Brekker is offered thirty million kruge when asked to partake in a heist to break into the impenetrable Ice Court. From there Kaz gathers a team of thieves and convicts and together they enlist on this journey to get rich. With such an incredible cast of characters, you will find yourself being invested in each character and their storylines. The story ranges from being dark to moody to funny and the seamless worldbuilding will keep you hooked till the end. 

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

This world consists of parallel Londons: Red, Grey, White, and Black. We follow our main character Kell, who is one of the last rare magicians left, known as an Antari. We see him travel through these different Londons and see the different regimes that have been built in each world. There are so many different complex elements and characters that come into play in this story, which further adds to the plot and journey as a whole. Schwab’s writing has this simplistic and beautiful quality, making the world and magic system become a vibrant experience for the reader, keeping them reaching for more. 

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

A rich high fantasy that takes place over the course of two books, we follow our main protagonist Lazlo, a war orphan, and junior librarian. Lazlo has been obsessed with the lost city of Weep since he was five years old and has been trying to find as much information as he can of the city in the library he works at. When the opportunity presents itself in joining the Godslayer and a band of renowned warriors, he seizes the chance to see if he can make his dream a reality in finding Weep, while traveling the world. The world-building in this series is so rich and Taylor does an incredible job in setting a beautiful atmosphere that is both magical and dreamy. If lyrical writing is to your taste then definitely pick this series up as it will not disappoint. 

Reading slumps sometimes slip up and have often made me feel distant and unmotivated when it comes to picking up a book as I feel no remote interest. However, I often found Fantasy to be the genre reeling me back in. These are some incredible reads that have personally helped me get out of frustrating reading slumps and have made me realize again why I love getting lost in stories. I hope you guys enjoy these recs and hopefully they help you with your reading slumps!

Ritobrita Mishra is a fourth year majoring in both English and Cinema Digital Media.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!