Taylor Swift folklore
Taylor Swift folklore
Republic

‘folklore’ Songs as Myers-Briggs Personality Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you know me, you know there’s nothing I love more than Taylor Swift and analyzing my friends’ zodiac charts/MBTI/enneagram/Harry Potter house, etc. I spend an exorbitant amount of time researching all the different personality types and making all my friends take the many tests. Inspired by Grammy nominations coming up on November 24th, I thought I would revisit my personal favorite album of the year, but with a twist. With 16 exquisitely beautiful, unique songs, Taylor Swift’s 2020 masterpiece, folklore, matches up perfectly with the 16 Myers-Briggs personality types. Go ahead and take the linked quiz (approximately 10 minutes long) and see what song matches with your personality type!

1. “the 1”: ESFJ (Consul)

Reflecting on a past relationship, “the 1” explores how one is moving on yet still wondering how their past partner is doing (and wishing them well). Consuls have a reputation for being social, staying up to date on how loved ones are doing, and feeling hurt if people lose interest. The lyric “If you wanted me, you really should’ve showed” reflects Consul’s emotional sensitivity and their deep desire to feel appreciated.

2. “cardigan”: ISFP (Adventurer)

Creative in a non-traditional sense, Adventurers are inspired by connections between people and ideas; they use their strengths to pursue what they love. Exploring a twenty-years-past relationship, “cardigan” connects the bond shared between young lovers to a material object, weaving a beautiful love story.

3. “the last great american dynasty”: ENTJ (Commander)

“the last great american dynasty” dives into the story of a woman infamous for throwing huge parties and having “a marvelous time ruining everything,” going against society’s norms for women in her day. Commanders are known for being confident and charismatic, marching to the beat of their own drum, and challenging whatever they can.

4. “exile”: ISTP (Virtuoso)

Virtuosos use trial and error to work through ideas; aligning with the back-and-forth style duet of a breaking relationship in “exile.” They may act too quickly on their impulses and puzzle people with their actions, leading to miscommunication.

Taylor Swift / YouTube

5. “my tears ricochet”: INFJ (Advocate)

Advocates operate based on idealism and integrity; they stand up for what is right. Written about her battles to own her masters, Swift advocates for herself in “my tears ricochet,” based on principle.

6. “mirrorball”: ESFP (Entertainer)

“mirrorball” hits home for people-pleasers who love to put on a performance and occupy themselves with shape-shifting to fit the expectations of those surrounding them. The Entertainer personality type is known to be extremely generous with their time and energy and treat the world as a stage. The lyric “I’m still trying everything to get you laughing at me” exemplifies how in-tune entertainers are with their audience.

7. “seven”: INFP (Mediator)

“seven” tells the story of a childhood friendship, in which one kid attempts to comfort the other, who has a tumultuous home life. “I think that you should come live with me and we can be pirates/Then you won’t have to cry” exemplifies the way in which Mediators care deeply and have great empathy, which manifests in them communicating in creative and meaningful ways.

8. “august”: ESTP (Entrepreneur)

Entrepreneurs have a tendency to be perceptive, get caught up in moments, and forget to take care of themselves. The girl in “august” wistfully reflects upon her summer romance with an eye for vivid detail, quoting “Remember when I pulled up and said ‘Get in the car?’” She gives her all to James, treasuring their situation-ship many months later, despite knowing full well how unhealthy it was for her.

9. “this is me trying”: ISFJ (Defender)

“this is me trying” shares the heartbreaking story of pouring all your effort into something, hoping somebody will notice. Defenders tend to be innately kind and hard-working, but their efforts often go unnoticed because of their tendency to downplay their accomplishments.

10. “illicit affairs”: INTJ (Architect)

Cynical and private, Architects juggle their dreams with relentless pessimism. The tendency to be full of contradictions is present within the lyrics of “illicit affairs,” where it’s clear the angry subject of the song knows the affair is doomed (“Look at this godforsaken mess that you made me”) but still wishes for the best, no matter what it takes (“For you I would ruin myself a million little times”).

11. “invisible string”: ENFP (Campaigner)

Crafting a beautiful image of an invisible string of gold tying two people together, “invisible string,” dives deep into the concept of fate bringing soulmates together through a series of coincidences. Campaigners view life through an emotional, mystical lens and see the world as a complex, interconnected puzzle.

12. “mad woman”: ESTJ (Executive)

To put it bluntly, “mad woman” is a scathing take on the wrongful treatment of women. Embodying the Executive MBTI, “mad woman” asserts a clear stance on right and wrong, taking on a role of bringing women together as a community. 

Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift via Instagram

13. “epiphany”: ISTJ (Logistician)

With a devout respect for authority, Logisticians seek to uphold traditions. “epiphany,” written about Swift’s grandfather serving in the war, represents complete and total devotion to living to serve others, up until one’s final breath.

14. “betty”: ENFJ (Protagonist)

The Protagonist personality type is known for being a leader, unafraid to speak their mind and stand up for what they believe to be right. In “betty,” James’ strong personality shines through as they assert “I know I miss you” and “I know where it all went wrong.” James is willing to do whatever it takes to win back Betty, even if it means showing up at her party uninvited. 

15. “peace”: ENTP (Debater)

Debaters have an aptitude for mental sparring and playing devil’s advocate, present in the internal battle “peace” represents. Swift pours her heart out, only to backtrack with “Would it be enough if I could never give you peace?”

16. “hoax”: INTP (Logician)

As an avid analyst of lyrics, I must admit the meaning of “hoax” is still an absolute mystery. It only seemed fitting to pair this deep, complex song with Logician, which is known for being rare, inventive, and philosophical. They have a knack for spotting patterns, which aligns with how many lyrics in “hoax” tie back to other songs on the album.

Aleshia Rose is a third-year UC Davis student pursuing a Communication major and minors in Psychology and Professional Writing. In her free time, she enjoys crafting niche Spotify playlists, roaming the aisles at Trader Joe's, demolishing her friends at word games, and tracking down all the stray cats in Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!