Five Underrated Songs You Should Add to Your Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

More and more new songs are being released everyday, but how many of them are actually worth listening to? To be honest, I don’t know- it depends on personal taste. For this article, I chose several different types of songs to share. These are the songs that I feel that are highly underrated, and I can’t guarantee that everyone will feel the same way about them, but at least give them a try!

1. “Prophet” – King Princess

The first song that I think is very underrated is “Prophet”. This song is performed by King Princess, who is a singer and lyricist from New York. Even though her music genre is pop/indie pop, this song is unlike most pop music because it gives off an 80s vibe. The melody is pretty chill and retro, and the drum at the beginning is the highlight of the whole song. King Princess’s voice has a laid-back feeling, and combined with the chill vibe of the song just makes you feel really relaxed. If you have time, you should definitely check out the music video for this song, too. The use of the vintage camera can make you feel like you’re watching a movie from fifty years ago.

Image Source: Pexels

2. “Hallucinations” – PVRIS

This song is performed by a rock band from Massachusetts. The energy that the lead singer, Lynn, brought is amazing. The chorus part is very harmonious; the keyboard synth and Lynn’s voice just fit very well together. She can change her voice from sounding angelic to vigorous very quickly. Whenever I am listening to this song, I feel like I am at a fashion show. Overall, it gives me a very dark, luxurious, psychedelic vibe. 

3. “Undrunk”- Fletcher

Fletcher is a singer from New York. Her newest album, You Ruined New York City for Me, is the perfect pop album to listen to after a heartbreak. This song is the most powerful one in the entire album, and her amazing silky vocals hook you immediately. Plus, the lyrics are so honest, catchy, relatable, and intense that they make you wonder about the story behind the song.                                                                                  

4. “Dancing With Your Ghost” – Sasha Sloan

From the beginning, humming makes you feel the emotion behind the song. This song is very simple but touching. It uses less than five instruments to create the melody, but with Sasha’s amazing vocals, this track effectively delivers a melancholy, moody feeling to listeners.

Image Source: Pexels

5. “Keep Lying” – Donna Missal

Donna is another singer from New York, and her songs are very soulful and powerful. This song is no different. The soulful, pop vocals with buzzing power chords draw you in immediately immediately. The lyrics are raw and the whole song showcases the uniqueness of her voice and ability to hit high notes effortlessly.

These songs are definitely my all time favorites, and I hope they can give your mind a little break from midterms! Enjoy! 

I am a sophomore studying in design at UCD,I love xperiencing new things,when I don't have anything to do I love to go to concerts.Indie pop and rock are just amazing.I am new at her campus and I hope I can be more creative by doing this. https://www.instagram.com/kelsey_pfg714/
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!