This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

February is here, which means graduating seniors are registering for commencement and ordering the caps and gowns they’ve worked so hard to get. That sheet of paper and those articles of clothing can cause heightened anxiety for some, including me. I entered UC Davis four years ago, unsure of what I wanted to do with my college career, let alone the rest of my life. Now, here I am, a mere five months away from graduation, full of hard-earned knowledge and passion. Yet, I am unsure of my destination. Among the extensive list of jobs I want to apply to, there is an equally long list of dreams that I want to come true. 

Deciding what career to pursue or what job to take after college is difficult, and there are many factors to consider. Young graduates usually take two things into consideration: how much money a job yields, and how happy it will make them. They believe they must decide between one or the other, but the truth is, there is much more to consider. It comes down to your own personality, aspirations, and status. What do you want out of your job? What do you need out of a job? Where do you want to go? Where could it take you? Does it feel like an environment you could grow in?  

For those of us who don’t know exactly what the future holds, answering these questions can be clouded by outside opinions and judgments. As an English major, I have been discouraged for my academic choices and questioned about my ability to succeed in the professional arena. This negativity can turn a hopeful graduate away from seeking their dream job or searching just a little bit longer for something they believe would be a better fit than the first offer out of the gate. One of the most important things when thinking about your own future is to block out the skepticism. Nobody has the right to tamper with your personal goals. 

We are lucky to come from a world-renowned university. No matter what your major is, if you have been following your own passions, you will have the skills to succeed in what makes you happy. Personally, I have been stimulated by my peers about ideas that I am interested in, challenged by concepts I had never considered, and supported by teachers who understand the  value of my degree, and push me to take advantage of it. I spent four years indulging curiosities and finding passions, and this is what is going to define my future. The way that I use the skills I have learned is more important than the price tag that is stereotyped for my major. 

For those like me, try not to give into pressure from others to pursue something you don’t feel will make you happy. If you enjoy what you do, chances are you are going to be more motivated to excel at it. Choose your path based on what you believe will make you feel fulfilled, however that is defined for you. You’re in college to figure out who you are, what you like, what you’re good at, and where you want to go. Don’t make your decisions based on the beliefs of somebody else.

In the remaining months, think about what you’ve gained from your experiences, whether in class or out of class. Find what makes you excited and proud. Choosing your path should fill you with as much joy as when you were first asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” 

“You don’t have to get a job that makes others comfortable about what they perceive as your success. You don’t have to explain what you plan to do with your life. You don’t have to justify you education by demonstrating its financial rewards. You don’t have to maintain an impeccable credit score. Anyone who expects you to do any of those things has no sense of history of economics or science or the arts. You have to pay your own electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you’ve got. You have to find people who love you truly, and love them back with the same truth. But that’s all.” – Cheryl Strayed, Brave Enough.

I am a 22 year old senior who enjoys watching Friends with a glass of wine. Currently in the process of figuring out Adulthood. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!