This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Spring is here, which means I’m counting down the days until I don’t have to worry about school and can instead enjoy the weather in my cute outfits. I’m not the most efficient consumer when it comes to my wardrobe; I generally buy pieces I think are pretty without thinking about how to style them. This becomes an issue when I purchase a trendy top that will only collect dust after a few months. So, for this spring and summer, I am trying to be more conscious about buying timeless clothing items that are worth the investment. Here is a list of my recommendations of what to buy as well as where to buy them, although I heavily suggest you go to a thrift store or search on second-hand sites first to reduce your carbon footprint!

sustainable fashion support
Photo by Cherie Birkner from Unsplash

1. Bermuda jean shorts

I’m not talking about the shorts we all wore as middle schoolers, although those were quite the fashion statement. I find that either blue or black mid-thigh denim shorts go with pretty much anything during the warmer months. I actually took an old pair of jeans I didn’t wear as much and cut them to my desired length, which is a great way to upcycle your clothes!

If you’re looking for a nice quality pair, Levi’s shorts are always a great choice, but for more affordable options I thought these Old Navy and H&M shorts were perfect.

2. Matching sets

Matching sets are awesome because you can mix and match with other items already in your wardrobe. I’ve already seen so many cute sets from practically every clothing brand this spring, and I can’t help but gush over this set from Target with a ruched floral skirt and matching tied puff sleeve top! There are also athleisure options for when you want to look put together while being comfortable, like this sweat short and sweater combo.

person holding assorted clothes in wooden hanger
Photo by Becca McHaffie from Unsplash

3. Trousers

Trousers are so versatile because they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. If you want a casual look, you can pair them with a basic crop top. But if you’re going to a more formal event, you can wear them with a blouse or other fitted jacket. I’m usually able to find an abundance of different colored and patterned trousers at whichever thrift store I go to. However, these twill pants from Target and beige trousers from Princess Polly are gorgeous!

4. Crochet galore 

From hats to bags to tops, I think anything knitted is super adorable, and if you’re up for the challenge, you can even try and make them yourself! Crocheted pieces can last for a long time and can be worn for any season as long as you can match it. For example, a crocheted sweater vest can be worn on its own during the summer and layered over a long sleeve during the winter! There are so many users on depop like @nyahmalone19 who sell crop tops or @scrunchiesbycamille with the most intricate bags ever! I also recommend patterned pieces like this one from Zara that you can pair with pretty much any pair of bottoms.

There are times when I lack inspiration for my outfits, but these are some accounts I frequent on Instagram as I look for ideas on how to spice up my clothes:

@isaasung

@erikaaguileraa

@ageorama

@barbarakristoffersen

Happy shopping!

Chelina is a third-year Communication and Sociology major at UC Davis. She loves binge watching Parks and Rec and considers herself an ice cream fanatic. After graduating, she hopes to work in public relations, marketing, or consulting.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!