Fall into Fun: The Ultimate Guide to Fall Activities 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As fall approaches with warm, orange hues and crisp air sweeps through streets, it’s time to celebrate the magic of the season with wholesome activities. 

1.     Pumpkin Carving/Painting:

Whether it is pumpkin carving or painting, it screams fall fun. Gather some pumpkins, your carving knives, some small candles, and a cleaning utensil. You can make it into a cute activity in the park with friends, play some jazz music in the background, and carve away. If you don’t want things getting messy, a cleaner alternative is pumpkin painting. There’s a lot of options available for purchasing pumpkins at dollar stores, along with painting supplies. 

2.     Corn Maze:

Going through a corn maze is a quintessential fall activity. If you’re anywhere near Dixon, you’re lucky enough to be close to “Cool Patch Pumpkins,” the largest corn maze in the world. Build a team with your friends and meander through the maze. This is not only a bucket list item but also helps you polish your problem-solving skills.

3.     Haunted House:

Personally, I am not courageous enough to pull this off, but if ghosts, flying spiders, and spooky noises sound like an exciting activity to you, then going to haunted houses is the perfect fall festivity for you and your friends. It’s the best way to get your adrenaline rushing and wake you up from the sleep deprivation of midterms week. 

4.     Football Game:

Free on a Sunday evening with no homework to do? Try looking up football games happening around you. It could be your school football game or even a local team playing. There is nothing else that will give you a sense of belonging better than being in the stadium, breathing the spirited air, and shouting out cheers as your favorite player scores. Dress up in team colors, get creative with face paints, and pour your heart out onto posters. Grab dinner and drinks…call it a date!

5.     Bonfire:

There’s no stress in the world that a cozy bonfire with your friends or family can’t fix. This is probably the only time that you would feel proud starting a fire. Arrange some snacks, marshmallows, hot cocoa, and a fuzzy blanket to complete the experience. You can also have your friends play the guitar if they like to or any instrument for that matter. This adds an element of intimacy and warmth to your gathering.

6.     Farmers’ Market:

If you want to up your grocery run game and make it into a little outing with friends, get some vintage photographs, and stock up on organic vegetables and authentic, gourmet food, the farmers’ market is the place to go. You will not only have access to the freshest produce, but also the delight of exotic flowers, artifacts, and diverse dishes from across the globe. I personally love to go to my local farmers’ market in Davis with my friends, wear a cute outfit, pick out fresh flowers, take pictures, and relish the food.

7.     Baking Challenge:

This activity is one of the more engaging ones. It’s wholesome to say the least. Pick out a recipe you want to try. Anything with pumpkin spice, apple, or cinnamon counts as a fall recipe. Besides, who doesn’t want their home to smell like baked goods and snacks or some rich apple pie during study breaks?

8.     Hiking:

This is for everyone who finds a conventional gym ‘boring’ and tedious. Hiking is the best way to connect with nature, practice gratitude, bond with friends, and get your steps in. You can carry snacks and choose a spot on your hike to eat lunch or do a picnic. It doesn’t even have to be a long or tough hike. Even following a short trail will do the trick. Sweat out all the stress, hydrate yourself along the way, and absorb the beauty of nature. Trust me, hiking is never a bad idea. 

9.     Movie Night:

How can you say fall without comfy movie nights? Go crazy with this one. You can be as extra as you want: from having an outdoor pool screening to building a fort to projecting a movie on the wall. Take creative liberties to make it as special and relaxing as you want. A popcorn bar, hot chocolate corner, fall decorations, warm blanket, and mood lighting are my perfect guide to having a night in. 

Whatever your preference is, there’s always a fun way to enjoy the fall season!

Hi, I am Suhani Salgia, a sophomore at the University of California, Davis. I am an international student from India am a majoring in Managerial Economics with a Technology Management minor. I want to pursue a career in Marketing and am really interested in learning about consumer behavior and the luxury fashion market. Growing up, I trained as a competitive swimmer and dancer. I love doing water sports, playing board games with friends, exploring music and making Pinterest mood boards.