Wellness > Health

Exploring the Female Reproductive System: Ovulation Symptoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Cramps, hunger, headaches, bloating and you know that it must be your premenstrual symptoms (PMS). These typically occur after the body ovulates and before your period because of an increased drop in progesterone and estrogen levels. A lot of people have familiar symptoms and experience these side effects, but not a lot have first-hand knowledge on ovulation symptoms.

Ovulation occurs about 14 days before the beginning of your period, and as a result, many menstruators experience a change in cervical mucus appearance and alterations in basal body temperatures. In other words, the body is preparing for pregnancy. It is also possible for people to have secondary ovulatory symptoms, which are very similar to premenstrual symptoms. For instance, it is common to experience cramps, bloating, breast tenderness, and spotting. It is very important to understand what our body is going through and how to manage symptoms and side effects, especially during ovulation.

tampons with flowers
Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels
Laura Ludwig, a Political Science student at UC Davis, experiences ovulatory symptoms every month and believes that we should consider ovulatory signs when talking about menstruation. “It feels like a dull pain on one side that comes and goes. It’s not all day, but it lasts for some people, a few hours, and for others one to three days. It lasts two to three days for me.”

Laura has gathered advice from doctors and other menstruators on how to relieve ovulation pain. She said, “I usually start by taking Ibuprofen and making sure I eat so I don’t get nauseous from the pain. I drink tea to relax and also put on a heating pad. My doctors recommended that I exercise to relieve the pain so I went skating for a couple hours and did some stretches. My doctor also said that diet is really important, so I make sure I take out certain foods that will bring on more pain. Ibuprofen is definitely the most helpful thing for me.”

Laura is one of the very few who has talked about her experience during ovulation. Hopefully, more menstruators will speak up about what they experience during ovulation, so we can all better understand our bodies and cycles. We do not only undergo premenstrual symptoms, and it is important to note that there are other phases within our cycles where we can have similar side effects. Although they are a lot closer to home, our ovaries are a bit like outer space – there is so much more to explore.

Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Kaleigh is a third year Global Disease Biology student with a passion for women's health. She hopes to influence others to explore their passions at Davis and to continue to follow their dreams. She enjoys running, backpacking, and self-care!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!