Event Preview: The 5th Annual Formal Without Borders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

On Saturday, February 20th, the Council for International Development at UC Davis will host the 5th Formal Without Borders event. Traditionally held at the International House, multiple campus clubs will come together to raise money for developing communities. This is an event that focuses on everything international. International varieties of food, music, and dance will be featured for everyone’s enjoyment. There will also be a DJ playing international beats, an Italian Soda bar, and a photo booth to capture new memories with friends and members from all international communities. The dress code is semi-formal, but international attire is encouraged to enhance the experience of the event.

Parteek Singh, a Managerial Economics Major, is the president of the Council for International Development at UC Davis and the host of Formal Without Borders this year. He first took part in the event as a representative from the Indian Student Association (ISA). He was inspired to become more involved in the organization by the event and its causes. Parteek told Her Campus at UC Davis:

“Originally the event started as bringing together the international development clubs and raising funds for international development. At the 4th Formal without Borders, we opened it up to general development clubs too. Clubs get to table and promote their charities and it’s a great way for all of the clubs to collaborate. The main goal for this event is bringing together our campus. Students from all different backgrounds and majors come together to celebrate international culture. Not only is this event raising money for charities but is creating cultural awareness” 

Saba Daneshpooy, a representative from the Watsi club, talked to Her Campus UCD about her excitement for the upcoming event. Watsi is a club that aims to provide healthcare for everyone around the globe by crowdfunding individual patient treatments and will be participating at Formal Without Borders. Saba told Her Campus:

“I’m looking forward to Formal Without Borders because it’s a great way for all of these organizations on campus that are for international causes to come together and celebrate. It gives a sense of community that I am pleased to be a part of.” 

The number of people and groups involved in this event is impressive. Parteek told Her Campus, “We are very thankful for the Cross Cultural Center for all of their help this year. We are also grateful for the participation of each of the development clubs.” Parteek hopes make Formal Without Borders one of the future Aggie Traditions.

Tickets are sold at a presale price of $10 by the representatives of the 18 participating clubs. A limited number of tickets will be sold at the door for $15. The event takes place at the International House from 9pm to 12am. 

You can watch Aggie Studios coverage of a previous Formal Without Borders here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYjMsBRcksQ

You can RSVP to the Facebook event and view a full list of participating clubs here!: https://www.facebook.com/events/369507746557557/

Images used with permission of International House.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!