Eric Trump Fooled by Latina Sisters Wearing an Anti-Trump Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

At the North Carolina rally on October 21st, Eric Trump and his wife are seen happily posing with two young Latina girls—one wearing a shirt which says “Latinas ‘contra’ Trump”. This, however, translates to “Latinas against Donald Trump.”

The two girls, Annie and Ceci Cardelle, aged 23 and 17, heard about the rally happening in their hometown and decided to attend. Annie told Buzzfeed News her doubts, saying that she “…didn’t want to go hear Eric Trump speak, but [Ceci] really wanted to, so I couldn’t just go without making a little bit of a statement. So, grabbing a white shirt and a black sharpie, Annie made the shirt before she and her sister went to the event.

The sisters spoke out on Twitter saying that no one noticed them wearing the shirts; because of this, no one asked about it, nor did they get any hateful comments for it. It was easy for them to get in line and take a picture with Eric Trump (Donald Trump’s son) without causing a commotion.

Cece Cardelle commented on the shirt and Donald Trump’s political message, telling the New York Daily News that, as Hispanic women, they “…see how Trump’s hate speech has emboldened people to be racist towards Latinos and people of color in general…What Donald Trump has been doing is making people think that it’s alright to treat us as if we’re worse than they are.”

Celebrities have congratulated the girls on their shirt, including Ezra Koenig, who defend the girls on twitter when a user belittled the girls’ message.

Overall, many seem to be pleased and amused that the sisters could get away with it!

All photos courtesy of Twitter.

Annette is a freshman at UC Davis. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, painting, drawing, and keeping up with politics. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!