This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When I reflect back on my time growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am beyond grateful that I got to call that diverse place my home for so many years. Living there opened my eyes so much wider to the world and all that it is made up of. From the experiences to the people, it is such a diverse place that allows one to appreciate what may or may not make someone “different.”

Loving young multiracial lesbian couple holding hands while lying on bed at home
Photo by Monstera from Pexels
Like many issues in our world today, so many are not easy to fix. However, one of those issues is the matter of “equality,” and how easily we can do our part to include others. Of course, it is nice to believe that we live in a world where everyone is believed to be equal, but in reality, that is unfortunately not the case. The LGBTQIA+ community, among other marginalized groups in society, go about their lives not always feeling equal to their peers in society. 

Marginalized groups in our society have been fighting for this simple human right, of equality,  for far too long. Just because someone is marked as “different,” by society’s standards, does not mean that they should be treated any differently. We are all human with flaws and imperfections that make us unique so who would want to live in a world where there is no “different” anyway? That does not sound fun to me, as there is so much to learn from others and what they have experienced. 

Three people holding three different LGBTQ+ pride flags.
Photo by Shopify Partners from Burst/Shopify
Thinking about ways to continue to work toward equality for all people is something that all of us should contribute to in order for there to be a better understanding of the necessary changes that need to be made, so that our society can get rid of hateful practices that have been in place and engrained in the minds of many for far too long. Progress and striving for inclusion, and equality is a good thing, it is something that really can only make this world a better place for all who live in and call it their home. My hope is that people can continue to open their hearts and minds and recognize the importance of ALL people feeling safe and worthy.

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!