This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I am disappointed in this country that I call my home. In recent times, America has become a place that appears to cater to only one type of person: the white individual. Between hate and racism towards Black Americans, Asian Americans, BIPOC individuals, and at times womxn, enough is enough. 

While I am relieved to have a new administration that has advocated that they care for ALL Americans and their well-being, it is not enough to fix the problems that have been deeply rooted in this country for far too long. The problems that continue to plague our society need to be seriously acknowledged and addressed by ALL people, no matter their background and what they look like. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, white silence is compliance that leads to violence. Too many people in this country sit back and do everything they can to NOT get involved in the many social justice issues that are a part of our world today. When you are privileged enough to have a voice you must use it to speak up for those who may not have the privilege of having their voice be listened to. 

Protest
Photo by Markus Spiske from Pexels
When it comes to racism, many people think that it is not their place to do or say anything because they themselves have never been “racist.” However, that is not any kind of justifiable excuse. So much of the world is hurting and the people we love are bombarded with hate and injustice, so it is one’s responsibility to do something. It is not enough to claim that you are not racist, we must be anti-racist and speak up on behalf of those who cannot. We should stand as allies with the people of our country who do not deserve to be belittled and attacked simply because they look or act “different.” 

In the last four years or so, hatred and bigotry were fueled by the power held by one man in our country leading me to feel as if I am living through history books. With that being said, so many of us have the ability to speak up. Now more than ever, there are so many ways to get involved and fight against social injustices that are experienced by our fellow Americans and the people we love. Yes, we are all still learning and growing every day, we do not need to know everything or say the right thing, but we need to at least try. In twenty years when we look back at this point in time and all of the horrible things that happened, don’t you want to say that you were actively a part of the change? 

people standing on street during daytime with protest signs
Photo by Lennon Cheng from Unsplash
My challenge to all who are reading this is to step out of your “comfort zone.” Find at least one way to get involved in the fight against social injustices experienced by too many people in this very country that do not deserve it. Say something, do something, give what you can, do your part as a human being to make this world a better place. Lead with love and compassion.

Ashley is a senior at the University of California, Davis. She is studying Communication and getting her minor in English with the hopes of one day having a successful career in one of the two fields. Ashley enjoys spending time with her family and exercising in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!