This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The moment Ed walks on set, his energy is transformative. With the charisma of a Kennedy and glowing smile to match, it’s no surprise that he instantly puts his clients at ease. His keen artistic vision and effervescent charm form a dynamic duo, easily producing quality photos that capture people at their best.

Her Campus (HC): Hey Ed! Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with us today. Let’s hop right into it! How did you get started with photography?

Ed Ju (EJ): I started photography because… well, simply put, I was terrified of having conversations with people I didn’t know. Like, ordering a cup of water from a waitress would take great courage for me to muster. I wanted to overcome this ridiculous weakness. Through a photography project called 100 strangers, I challenged myself to go up to random strangers and ask if they could share their story with me and let me take a picture of them. I did this for four years and quickly fell in love with people’s stories while capturing beauty in people.

HC: Very cool, your photos have a visible light and exuberance in them. How do you capture these moments?

EJ: Thanks! One of the most important things to remember while I am shooting is that I AM HAVING FUN. Okay, I know that sounds a little selfish, but hear me out. I have this theory that if I, the photographer, am having a good time, cracking jokes, and just acting like a friend, then maybe–just maybe–the people I’m taking photos of will relax and have fun too! So, often times I’ll ditch posing strategies for “screw it, let’s just have fun.” It keeps me thinking in creative ways and helps me never get bored with my job, and actually, over the years it’s developed into my style.

Her Campus (HC): Of course, not all the magic happens in the moment. What are some of your favorite editing tips?

Editing tips! Yes, I love EDJUcating people about my editing style. To keep it short and sweet, I would say that warmth is the key! I love sunny, gentle light rays enveloping my subjects. It keeps things looking happy. All my photos look warm, sunny, and happy– this is my style and I intend on keeping it consistent.

Her Campus (HC): What are your favorite types of shoots? Is there one photo shoot in particular that stands out in your memory?

Couples, engagements, weddings, maternity shoots, or just ones for funsies. I love taking photos of people who are in love with each other. It’s contagious, and I feel like I have the best job in the world when I’m photographing love. I’d say the most recent maternity shoot I had with a Romanian couple [would be the one that stands out the most]. They were so cute together, and even brought a little bowtie to giftwrap her belly!

Her Campus (HC): Do you have any advice for people who want to make the leap, and follow in your creative footsteps?

Nike. Just do it. Shia Labeouf. Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Seriously, pick up your iPhone if you don’t own a camera. Start somewhere. Start a project. Start editing. Start tinkering. Start learning! Also, like my Facebook page because I LOVE building community ties and sharing anything I know! 

Her Campus (HC): Thank you so much for sharing your insight! Best of luck!

More of Ed’s work can be found at edju.co . 

Samantha Chiang is a sophomore English and Psychology major at UC Davis with an unbridled love for poetry, Legally Blonde, and late night munchies (in no particular order). She is a passionate advocate for the mental health community and hopes to use her voice in journalism and student government to foster a more inclusive campus climate. In the distant future, she hopes to become an entertainment lawyer so she can wear Western business attire every day. If you would like to contact her, please email sychiang@ucdavis.edu. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!